System Freeze booting or resuming when laptop cold

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbrbos1

System Freeze booting or resuming when laptop cold

Post by rbrbos1 »

Toshiba Satellite A205 with Mint 10 gnome 32.

When I boot the system cold, that is , first thing in thing in the morning, the system locks with a blank screen before the splash kicks in; keyboard is totally unresponsive, need to hold power button 5 secs and restart. After second reboot in recovery mode, system will hang again at login or shortly after a successful login. On 3d time perhaps, system successfully boots and thereafter functions all day no problems

when i resume from sleep, same thing if sleep is for extended period (more than half hour? not sure)

I don't see any particular errors in the logs.

It seems like the cpu needs to literrally "warm up" to a certain temp before it will work properly. Is that possible? Suggestions? Hold at grub screen for 10 min first boot of the day?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rbrbos1

Re: System Freeze booting or resuming when laptop cold

Post by rbrbos1 »

Was having the same problem with my Toshiba a205 s4607 satellite-

Solved, I think;
modifed grub, adding "acpi_skip_timer_override" as follows:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_skip_timer_override"

no more interrupts on boot, no more freezes after periods of inactivity, no problems resuming from sleep/hibernate, no more stalls downloading large files;

took me a long time to find this workaround !

Return to “Installation & Boot”