Can't install Daryna, an error occurs

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install Daryna, an error occurs

Post by Raffael »

I've got a problem during installation of Daryna that doesn't allow me to continue the installation. I get an error message:

Code: Select all

udevd-event[2324]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit
After this error I'm asked to enter command in the terminal.

I've downloaded the *.iso from torrent, checked the MD5 sum, then burned it with ImgBurn at speed 8x and verified it. Everything was OK with the installation CD.

This error occurs even in the safe-graphics mode.

My PC:
AMD Athlon 64 3400
MSI K9N Platinum
1GB of RAM
XFX GeForce 760GT
IDE HDD Seagate 30 GB
Soundcard integrated in the mainboard
LG H12N DVD writer

Any ideas what may be the cause of this unusual situation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is reported as a bug for boards with a Jmicron controller
Do you have one?
I can't see it in the specs I read but not everything is mentioned
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raffael »

Jmicron controller?
I don't even know what is it.
I've checked in Google and it told me that it's a SATA/IDE controller. As I'm trying to install Mint on IDE HDD I guess we're talking about Jmicron IDE controller.
I've checked in the manual but there is no info about IDE controllers producer. On the other hand some nforce 570 based mainboards have Jmicron SATA/IDE controllers so I may be an owner of one.

Let's say I have one.

Is there anything that can be done with this situation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

There's a guy with the nick nick :lol: in the forum who knows a bit about Jmicron.
You could try to PM nick and ask him to help you - sorry I have so many questions now that I get dizzy :lol:
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't install Daryna, an error occurs

Post by Raffael »

OK, I've checked with Ubuntu 7.10. It doesn't work either and the problem is exactly the same.
I always thought that if any hardware works with old kernel it would work with the new one. I was wrong.
Many people found this error and the advise to wait for new version of kernel.
As I was using Mint 3.0 I'm going to start using 3.1 and wait for Mint based on Ubuntu 8.05 or new version of Mint which will cope with this thing.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

There is a problem with MSI K9N Platinum motherboards,
randomly shutting down during installation of any operating system.

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/ ... -shutdowns

MSI K9N mobos suffer random shutdowns....................shutdowns occur when burning DVDs in Windows, installing Debian Linux, while working in Ubuntu OS and so on. Almost all of this is in strict relation to IDE settings. If you own such a motherboard, first-hand repair is to lower the operation model from UDMA Mode 5 or UDMA Mode 6 to either UDMA0 or UDMA Mode 3 and hope that will do the trick.

Maybe that helps?

Nick
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raffael »

I've heard about this problem, but:
The only bullet-proof solution is replacing the C565 capacitator which was found guilty for the shutdown problem.
The following series of motherboards are affected:

601-7250-040
601-7250-050
601-7250-060
My mainboard isn't from the affected series, luckily from me and I haven't suffered any of those sympotms since I bought it so it's not the reason.
I guess it's Jmicron controller-kernel conflict and nothing more.
Celena works flawlessly (I installed it in the morning) and it satisfies me (for the time being).

Return to “Installation & Boot”