Installation of Linux Mint on HP Pavillion a1510n

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveSM

Installation of Linux Mint on HP Pavillion a1510n

Post by DaveSM »

Hi all,

I'm not completely new to linux and command line but lately I faced a problem that my little know-how can't solve.

In the past years I had to re-install windows and clean viruses a few times on my wife's parents computer, an HP Pavillion a1510n. I finally was able to convince them to switch to linux. I looked around for a distribution usable for less computer-literate users and lately I found Linux Mint.

I previously tried to boot a few flavors of Ubuntu (Ubuntu, Xubuntu...) 10.10 and 10.04 using a USB thumb drive whitout success (that was before I discovered Linux Mint). After going through the boot-loader and part of the splash screen (The screen gets purple for a few seconds) the video output of the computer switch off and never get back on.

I found today this bug reports that explains why :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/593489

In the past I always used liveCD to install distros and I never had to configure anything before starting the install process.

What should I do to be able to install Linux Mint 10 on this computer?

I understand that I should boot into a command line environnement and configure GRUB but I have absolutely no clue on how to do this...

I'm not afraid of some command line limbo but I need to know where to start. Detailled explanations would be really appreciated.

Thank you very much :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DaveSM

Re: Installation of Linux Mint on HP Pavillion a1510n

Post by DaveSM »

I probably posted a minute too soon. I just found out about the compatibility mode on another post :
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66022

Return to “Installation & Boot”