Mint4Win wiped out my data partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Mint4Win wiped out my data partition

Post by catilley1092 »

Last month, I was attempting to install Mint4Win (Mint 9) on my desktop, where Win 7 Pro (64 bit) is my primary OS. I do have a full install of the 64 bit version of Mint 9 on an external drive (320GB), loaded with data (VM's & such). I was just wanting a simple way to access Mint fast, w/o plugging & booting into the other drive.

I attempted the install 3 times, the first 2 times w/the 32 bit version, the last w/the 64 bit one. My data partition was wiped out, to the point that Windows 7 didn't see it as a partition, but unused space. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to backup (as I always do) prior to making a major change.

However, I installed the 32 bit version on my wife's notebook computer, for when we travel, and it works perfectly fine.

I'm also a 2 year user of Mint, it's the best Linux OS on earth, as I've already stated, I have another install, on it's own drive, and while I'm still learning, I'm no longer a "newbie". I consider myself an intermediate Mint user (need to work on using the command line more).

Also, I'm simply reporting this a possible bug, as I won't try this again on here. More or less a warning to others to backup before attempting this, too. What I done for when I want quicker access (actually a better solution) was installed it inside of VM Ware Player (free version).

Cat
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint4Win wiped out my data partition

Post by nunol »

Don't know what went wrong, but at least you didn't lose your data. Always backup.

I don't use Mint4Win, I rather run Mint in Virtualbox or reboot the system.

Return to “Installation & Boot”