Install w/o Java

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pmconway

Install w/o Java

Post by pmconway »

I want to try Mint but first I a couple of questions about the install
1) Can i install from the live DVD without Java?
2) Is there any system software or apps that I am likely to break by doing this?

Thanks a lot.

Trish
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Install w/o Java

Post by viking777 »

pmconway wrote:I want to try Mint but first I a couple of questions about the install
1) Can i install from the live DVD without Java?
2) Is there any system software or apps that I am likely to break by doing this?

Thanks a lot.

Trish
I have never noticed a way that this can be done, but I have never looked for one either, so it might be possible. However it is easy enough to remove java once you have mint installed, and that will very quickly give you the answer to question 2.

BTW. There are openjdk and iced tea packages available in the package manager if you prefer them - I don't know how well they work though.

EDIT. Now here is a thing. I just booted Mint 10 (I normally use LMDE) and noted that I don't have Java installed on it! So I guess it is not installed by default, because I certainly didn't remove it. So I guess that answers Q1 anyway.

Return to “Installation & Boot”