linux and xp on new hdd

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ltid8

linux and xp on new hdd

Post by ltid8 »

basicly i am this...

linux mint gnome on a 80gig hdd
swapfile
windows xp 300gig hdd

2 harddrives

xp is for my 4story game which does not work in wine yet, and pc too crap for a vm

i saved all my moves on the 300gig so i have room ,

now my kids have messed pc up bad,
i want to put my movies on my 2 80gig hdds, via external hdd,

and reinstal my pc, now i can not remeber how to do this it been so long,
=================
=================

now i want main as linux, (but different distro to mint, stil choosing,)on 300gig
and windows xp swap on 80gig hdd,
now how do i go about this? my cdrom is not a burner, i have no cash i have flash drives though

(32 bit asus aspire crap pc)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: linux and xp on new hdd

Post by dawgdoc »

If the PC will still boot into either Mint or WinXP you can create a bootable USB flash (thumb) drive using UNetboogin. It is available in Package Manager (Synaptic) for Mint or for a Windows version you can go here: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ When I have used it, I download the .iso file for the distro I wish to use beforehand rather than let UNetbootin download the .iso during the configuration.

After you have all of the files you wish to save on the external drives, you will need your Windows restore disk to reinstall XP. I would recommend installing it on the 80Gb drive before installing Mint on the 300 GB drive.

If the PC will not boot into either, you need to create your bootable USB on another PC. If you have the install disk from when you put your current version of Mint on the PC you could use it in a live environment to save your movies, other data, and download the new .iso onto the external hard drives. You can then create the bootable USB from the live environment.

I hope I have understood what you are asking.

Return to “Installation & Boot”