External Hard Drive Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MoonRaider

External Hard Drive Boot

Post by MoonRaider »

I have come across a rather bothersome problem recently. I have been running mint since Isadora on my laptop, dual-booting with my XP. About a week ago I was forced to take Mint off, because of space restrictions on the XP. So I resulted to installing the newest KDE Julia on my external hard drive. It installed successfully, I only have one problem. Even after changing the boot order in BIOS; to boot from USB first, my laptop ignores the hard drive and boots straight into internal XP. I have no experience when it comes to boot order, is their any possible way to fix this?

I know I am lacking information, but would be extremely happy to provide any needed.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
MoonRaider
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: External Hard Drive Boot

Post by wayne128 »

MoonRaider wrote:I have come across a rather bothersome problem recently. I have been running mint since Isadora on my laptop, dual-booting with my XP. About a week ago I was forced to take Mint off, because of space restrictions on the XP. So I resulted to installing the newest KDE Julia on my external hard drive. It installed successfully, I only have one problem. Even after changing the boot order in BIOS; to boot from USB first, my laptop ignores the hard drive and boots straight into internal XP. I have no experience when it comes to boot order, is their any possible way to fix this?

I know I am lacking information, but would be extremely happy to provide any needed.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
MoonRaider
You need to install grub on the MBR of the external USB hard disk.
Then when computer BIOS is selected to boot USB, it can pass control from BIOS to MBR or USB hard drive.

Return to “Installation & Boot”