Install Button Fails to Work

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glanceup

Install Button Fails to Work

Post by glanceup »

Been trying now for several days to install Julia Mint 10 on a Dell Inspiron 1000.

Having the same problem with both Mint (loading from CD) and Mint Debian (loading from DVD) editions. Loads sluggishly, the initial screen comes up, but clicking on the "Install" button does nothing. I've also tried right-clicking and once got a menu that had an "open" option, but clicking that did not continue the install.

I've run the checksum on the ISOs so that is not the problem. I tried the Debian edition because I came across a post from someone who said that edition "installed perfectly" on the Inspiron 1000.

Any suggestions? Puppy Linux seems to work properly but I want Mint!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
StanTheMan

Re: Install Button Fails to Work

Post by StanTheMan »

Sounds like a burner drive problem. Can you try borrow someone elses burner to try burn the ISO .
glanceup

Post by glanceup »

I guess I didn't make clear - I burned the CD and DVD on another computer.

The problem occurs at boot up. I get to the splash screen with the "install" button, but clicking the icon doesn't cause installation to start...
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Just out of interest, what are the specs of your PC? I run Mint 10 Gnome on an old laptop (512MB RAM, 1.4GHz CPU) and it is extremely slow going into the 'Live' image and starting the install process. Once it starts it's okay, but this could be the problem. Failing that, you say you can't launch the installer - what else happens. Does the Live image stay up stable or does it crash after a few minutes? It may be a graphics card issue instead, as I (any many others) had that too with the kernel used on the live image.
vincent

Post by vincent »

If you are using Ubuntu-based Mint, try the following command from within the Live session:

Code: Select all

gksudo ubiquity
If you are using LMDE, try this instead:

Code: Select all

gksudo live-installer
And post back here with the output of that command. There'll probably be some kind of error message we could work with.
glanceup

Post by glanceup »

Simon TS asked about the specs for the Dell Inspiron 1000. They are:

Intel Celeron 2.2 Ghz
512 MB Ram
40 GB hard drive

It DOES take a long time for the splash screen and icons to draw themselves. I've also tried clicking the install icon and waiting 20 minutes, but nothing happened so I don't think it's just responding very slowly...
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

This may well be a graphics-related problem. Have a look on the board under the "Installation & Boot" forum and you will see loads of people who have had graphics-related problems with the live image and built-in graphics controllers. There are various options that you can try enabling at the boot menu (cheat-codes). If you search on my ID (SimonTS) in that forum then you will find a few as I had an identical problem with my laptop - which is older and lower specced than yours. Once I got the graphics option at boot sorted for the Live image, it flew into the installer and I had no problems at all.

Return to “Installation & Boot”