/boot partition on different HD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gismondo
Level 1
Level 1

/boot partition on different HD

Post by gismondo »

Hi !!

I've just installed Linux Mint 4.0 on an external hard disk connected to a Hp Pavilion dv4000 and I have a little problem ...
The problemi is that if grub is on the Internal Hard Disk (I can't put it in the External because my laptop can't boot from USB) and the Extrnal Hard disk is not connected I get error 21 because grub (obviously) doesn' find the External Hard Disk...

So I was thinking of reinstalling Mint in this way... I create a very little partition on the Internal Hard Disk with /boot as mount point and install the rest in the External, then i install grub on the internal hard disk... this way it should see the boot partition on the internal and then load the OS from the external...

I'm not sure of this because I don't know if i can put the /boot partition on a different HD and, even if i can, will it boot without problems???
I know it's a bit complicated but i think it's the only way I can load my Linux system !!! :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: /boot partition on different HD

Post by Boo »

I would try it, it is what i would do.
I can not see any reason it would not work.
the /boot partition only has to be about 100MB (no more that 200MB if you want lots of kernels.).

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
gismondo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gismondo »

Hi, thanks for your help !!
I found an easier solution, I downloaded and burned the Super GRUB Disk iso and for the time being I'am able to boot Linux with it...
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

this is a known problem.
the file is put in /etc/grub/message.mint
and of course with a separate /boot partition there is no /etc.
hopefully it gets moved to /boot/grub/message.mint

Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Installation & Boot”