KDE LIVE DVD Display Problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mschaer

KDE LIVE DVD Display Problems

Post by mschaer »

Hi there

I'm trying to install Linux Mint 10 KDE (64bit) on an older Desktop PC.

When i choose to start the Live DVD in grub, it shows some text before it seems to turn off the graphics card.
I get a black screen (the monitor shows "no signal"), the PC is still running but won't show anything on the screen.

Compatibility mode does show some more text, then some weird lines and doe again not display anything useful.

Does anyone know, what my Problem could be? Graphics Card not supported?

Thanks
Michael

Here's my PC's specs:

AMD Athlon 3200+ (64bit)
Radeon 9250 128Mb
1.5 GB RAM
Some Asus Motherboard

The Text i get before the black screen is something like that:

Code: Select all

Loading /casper/vmlinuz
Loading /casper/init....

Ready
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: KDE LIVE DVD Display Problems

Post by SimonTS »

It sounds like the same problem that causes 95% of the problems with booting off the Live system - the graphics card isn't supported correctly in the kernel. You will almost certainly need to edit the command that is triggered by GRUB (at the selection menu press <TAB> to edit, then insert one or other of these commands before the final --

nomodeset
xforcevesa
video=LVDS-1:d
video=VGA-1:e

Also try modifying the existing entry to nosplash & noquiet - you may get more info.
mschaer

Re: KDE LIVE DVD Display Problems

Post by mschaer »

Hi Simon

"nomodeset" was the one i could use.
With that option i was able to install Mint and the newest drivers. Now, everything seems to work.

Thanks alot
Michael

Return to “Installation & Boot”