Moving HDD from one laptop to another

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
terrorblader

Moving HDD from one laptop to another

Post by terrorblader »

Hello everyone !

My laptop has been giving signs that it is going to die soon .. so I want to move the hard-disk on another laptop which has been sitting around for a while now , until I can buy a new one.Question is , if I simply move the hard-disk from one to the other , will my Mint still work or will I have to reinstall ?
I'd like to avoid that if possible ..
Specs of laptop one (the donor) : aspire 5720z - t2310 cpu , x3100 video card , using ndiswrapper for the wireless connection (atheros 5007eg)
Laptop 2 : compaq nx 7400 - celeron m 430 - 1.7 ghz , gma945 i think , bcm4311 wireless lan.

I know that in the ms world , you have to reinstall when you do something like that , hence my question.

Thank you & sorry for the lengthy post!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Moving HDD from one laptop to another

Post by JasonLG »

Theoretically it should work. The wireless cards maybe the only thing that gives you trouble as they use non-native or proprietary drivers. Most likely when you throw the drive in the new computer it will ask you to install the broadcom drivers(you need a wired connection to do so) and reboot and you should be on your way.

Return to “Installation & Boot”