Live Disks result in just a blinking cursor

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tarquinio

Live Disks result in just a blinking cursor

Post by Tarquinio »

I have successfully installed Mint 9 and LMDE (current OS) on my computer without any problems. I have also installed the current versions of Sabayon and Opensuse but had issues with the OS's and wiped them. Fedora with gnome 3 shell, Mint 10, Ubuntu 10.10, and Ubuntu 11.04 all result in just a blinking cursor. Fedora and mint 10 go straight to this while Ubuntu will allow me to pick the option to boot live disk, install, check disk, ect. Check disk runs and says it is fine. The first two options just lead to the blinking cursor which kills me. I have made multiple copies of the disks using both Brasero and K3b and they all pass the test but will not work. Its not the image either since all of these OS's work in Virtual Box just fine.

My System
Sabertooth 55i
i5 760 2.8 quad core
2gb of Cosair 1600
80 gb sata 2 hd
7300GT
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: Live Disks result in just a blinking cursor

Post by SimonTS »

Hi Tarquinio,

Sounds like the old 'unsupported video card in Live kernel' issue.
When you get the initial boot menu, press <e> to edit the command line and insert one of the following commands before the final -- I will put them in order of likely helpfulness;-
nouveau.blacklist=1
nomodeset

Actually, one of those two normally does the job.
Tarquinio

Post by Tarquinio »

Thank you SImon, but i tried both of them and it didn't help. i tried them separately and together. i tried turning on different boot modes like OEM and that didn't help either. Is there a way to add the driver to the iso before burning it maybe? or do i just wait for a new video card?
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Have a look at the Ubuntu help page for more boot options.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Another one to try is modify the 'normal' boot command line to 'noquiet' and 'nosplash'. This will, hopefully, show you what is going on during the boot procedure, so you can see where it fails.

Return to “Installation & Boot”