Need help to use Grub loader instead of windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pedobearvictim1

Need help to use Grub loader instead of windows

Post by pedobearvictim1 »

Hey guys, I just fixed this laptop and I did a fresh install windows 7.
now I want to install linux mint. I downloaded the Iso, burnt it etc.
now im stuck as what to do next
I read that its better not to install mint through windows. Is this true? or does it not matter?
And I want to use Grub instead of windows boot manager, and within the Grub be able to dual boot Mint, or windows 7
How do I do this?
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Need help to use Grub loader instead of windows

Post by wayne128 »

pedobearvictim1 wrote:Hey guys, I just fixed this laptop and I did a fresh install windows 7.
I read that its better not to install mint through windows. Is this true? or does it not matter?
And I want to use Grub instead of windows boot manager, and within the Grub be able to dual boot Mint, or windows 7
How do I do this?
Thanks!

There are many dual boot Win7 /Mint 10 tutorial, you can see how grub start up menu look like in the tutorial

here is one http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/12/08/ho ... windows-7/

or if yours is two hard drive,
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/12/01/ho ... rd-drives/

Some people run Linux within Windows. I have never do that. I always install Linux directly to a partition.
It is easier to toubleshoot issue if you install Linux on a partition since it is independent on windows OS.
But that is just one of the choice to be made.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

pedobearvictim1 wrote:Hey guys, I just fixed this laptop and I did a fresh install windows 7.
How do I do this?
Thanks!
Hi there ! ...

had to think about those questions ... when I was looking for a replacement of ' Windows 7 ' ! ...
I did choose ... to install ' LINUX ' .. (Ubuntu 1o.1o Maverick Meercat) .. aside of ' Win7 ' ... to test the ' replacement-program ' ... before wipe-off ' Win7 ' ! ...
but I found out ... ' Microsoft Corporation ' ... don't like this at ALL ! ! ! ... of course .. you will be able .. to read/write .. the ' Windows-Partition ' ! ...

what happend is ... after I ' update ' LINUX ... I went to install ' Firefox ' on the ' Windows-side ' ! ...
and right in the (funny slow) download of FF ... there came ... by hasard ! ... two ' update for Windows ' ... claiming ' reboot ' rightaway ! ...
after the download of FF was finished ... I made the ' reboot ' ...
and after that ... the system was rebooting all the time ! ... not knowing which OS to bootup ! ...

what happend is ... those two ' updates for Windows ' ... did wipe of the ' partition-manager ' ! ...
and ... LINUX gave the message ... " no such partition .. grub resque " ! ...(Microsoft Corporation did kill this hard-disk) ...

want to give you my advice ! ...

don't install ' LINUX ' as an ' application of Windows ' ! ... you will have the same ' Windows-problems ' on it ! ... like ' virus ' .. ' worms ' .. and so on ! ...

watch out carefully ... when you install ' LINUX ' aside of ' Windows ' ! ... (big brother is watching you .. with IE) ... they will prevent you from manipulate ' Windows ' ! ...

if you need to run some ' Windows-Application ' ? ... use ' Wine ' instead ! ... (is not the real solution .. but better than nothing) ! ...

at least ! ... stick to LINUX ! ... you can forget about ' Windows ' ! ...

if you want to know more about my expierience with ' Microsoft Corporation ' ? ...
give me a ' private message ' ... on .. @ ! ...

Last edited by casey972oo on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linXea

Post by linXea »

That must be one of the most annoying posts I have ever read.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

linXea wrote:That must be one of the most annoying posts I have ever read.
so why you read it ? ...
and why you '/quote' it ? ... I mean ...
what are you looking for ? ... in here ! ... is not a place to talk nonsens ! ...

Return to “Installation & Boot”