Fresh installed Julia, worked on it well, other day not boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webass

Fresh installed Julia, worked on it well, other day not boot

Post by webass »

Hi,

actually I have a problem, that I have never faced before with a linux.
I just installed fresh from DVD yesterday.

Worked a little with the built in firefox and unpacked my backups from stick, that I maed from home folder of the linux 9 before.
Then shut down.
Today I wanted to start the laptop again and all I get after the acer start screen is a screen blinking and some lines of, supposedly, text, that are not readable because they only look like cursors.
Screen is blinking all the time.
I can press return and it does anything, that I cant read again and jumps four lines further and just nothing more happening.

Action I took after this:
Took live cd and go to gparted and checked the sda1 where everything is in there.
It said it repaired anything and "pushed the grub back into", that s the meaning I remember, of what the system told me. :D

What is this?

Thanks in advance.
Andre
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
casey972oo

Re: Fresh installed Julia, worked on it well, other day not

Post by casey972oo »

webass wrote:Hi,

actually I have a problem, that I have never faced before with a linux.
I just installed fresh from DVD yesterday.

Worked a little with the built in firefox and unpacked my backups from stick, that I maed from home folder of the linux 9 before.
Then shut down.
Today I wanted to start the laptop again and all I get after the acer start screen is a screen blinking and some lines of, supposedly, text, that are not readable because they only look like cursors.
Screen is blinking all the time.
I can press return and it does anything, that I cant read again and jumps four lines further and just nothing more happening.

Action I took after this:
Took live cd and go to gparted and checked the sda1 where everything is in there.
It said it repaired anything and "pushed the grub back into", that s the meaning I remember, of what the system told me. :D

What is this?

Thanks in advance.
Andre
Hi there ! ...

for answer your question ... please give some more info ... about your ' hardware ' ...

which brand ? ... (Acer .. HP .. Samsung .. or whatever) ...

which prozessor ? ... ' Intel ' ... ' AMD64 ' ... 32-bit ... 64-bit ... and so on ! ...

and ... which ' live-cd ' ? ... for the installation ! ... the exact name .. please ! .. which you find on the ' .iso-image ' ! ... (before you burn it) ! ...

webass

Post by webass »

Hi, thanks for quick reply.

The notebook is an :
Acer Aspire 5920G-302G16MN
with
Intel Centrino Duo T7300 2,0GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NVidia GeForce 8600M-GT
The distri I took is:
linuxmint-10-gnome-dvd-i386
Is all I can say.
I hope enough.

Thanks.
Andre
webass

Post by webass »

Hi,
I push here.
Nobody any idea, what that could be about?

Otherwise I just try to install again and see, what going on after it.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Given that you only installed yesterday, you've got very little to lose so I'd recommend reinstalling. Once you've done that, reboot a couple of times before you make any changes. Then, each time you make a change (carrying out the first update, transferring your /home etc), reboot again to see if it does happen again - if it does at least you'll have some idea what's causing it.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

webass wrote:Hi, thanks for quick reply.

The notebook is an :
Acer Aspire 5920G-302G16MN
with
Intel Centrino Duo T7300 2,0GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NVidia GeForce 8600M-GT
The distri I took is:
linuxmint-10-gnome-dvd-i386
Is all I can say.
I hope enough.

Thanks.
Andre
Hi there ! ...

' Intel Centrino Duo ' ... I think ... this is ' 64-Bit ' ! ... (I don't know) ... maybe you need to choose another ' .iso-image ' ! ...

webass

Post by webass »

Thanks all.

No it is 32bit.
This an older chip.

But I reinstalled again, and this time, before updating over the repositories, I installed the proprietary driver by Nvidia, for the gra-card.
It is given in a dialog which pops up.
Last time, I updated the repositiories and THEN installed the driver. Somehow, I had the chance to work after this, and when started up the first time it sticked.

NOW, I just installed the driver and it sticks right away. No access anymore.

So, the given driver for the nvidia card most sure gives me the problem.
There are two options to install a driver, one has (recommeded) written there, so I will try the other version now.

But has anybody an idea, how to get the right graphics driver??

Cheers.
Andre

BTW: Different question. I had the choice to install freshly or just upgrade the system over apt.
I instlaled new, because I trust the producers of nvidia :-)

But, If I had upgraded over console with apt, would the graphic cards driver have been over written????

So next time I dont know if there is the right driver available, I would choose to upgrade over console, better, then with live cd.

????
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

webass wrote:Thanks all.

No it is 32bit.
This an older chip.

????
My idea is ... choose another ' .iso-image ' ! ... supose .. ' linuxmint-10-gnome-cd-i386 ' ... this one is smaler ! .. and much more easier to install ! ...

after the install ... make ' update ' rightaway ! ... and this might give you the right ' graphic-card-driver ' ! ...

if this don't work ? ... go get a new ' graphic-card ' ! ... of course .. this one is probably too old ! ...
webass

Post by webass »

casey972oo wrote:
webass wrote:Thanks all.

No it is 32bit.
This an older chip.

????
My idea is ... choose another ' .iso-image ' ! ... supose .. ' linuxmint-10-gnome-cd-i386 ' ... this one is smaler ! .. and much more easier to install ! ...

after the install ... make ' update ' rightaway ! ... and this might give you the right ' graphic-card-driver ' ! ...

if this don't work ? ... go get a new ' graphic-card ' ! ... of course .. this one is probably too old ! ...
MMh, as I have written here, thats what I did, update and then install graphic driver. I tried both ways now. and I tried both drivers, that are presented by the system.
The one does that the screen starts flickering, the other driver makes it black.

And the graphic card is as new or old, as a nvidia card from a 3 year old laptop is.
Wont change any card in a laptop. The linux mint 9 worked fine with the driver and the laptop.

Do you know, How to get the driver I downloaded from nvidia to run? and have it set up correctly?

Thanks in advance.
andre
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Stupid question time then. You say that you have tried both drivers that are offered for your card, and they both give you problems. What happens with the default driver that is installed by Mint? If it runs correctly, is stable and happy then I'd be tempted to avoid upgrading it at all.
Personally, I have two copies of Mint installed on the same machine. One is my 'full' system that I use every day. The other is my 'test bed'. With this one, every time I have an upgrade / update to do, a new driver, software package etc, I install it on my test-bed first. That way I can catch any problems, rather than screwing up my main system. You only need a small partition to do this (about 10Gig is enough), but it gives a lot of safety.
webass

Post by webass »

Nice option with the testbed.

I installed Mint 10 after I tested it with live dvd, just as recommended in the mint documentation.
But you cannot test a proprietary graphic cards driver, can you? becuase it need to be restarted.

Then I have that option to update the whole system (from repositories and all that libraries and all) AND, there is that option to install foreign drivers.

In my case, mint gave me two options to install nvidia card driver, that were tested by linux mint developers. One is called Driver 176 (or so, dont nail me down) and the other is driver recomended.

I tried bioth, to make the laptop run in normal screen resolution. I dont like my laptop to run in 800*600 with the "standard driver".

Thats all about. Two drivers presented by the hardware popup from the mint 10 are not working.
THEN I downloaded it from nvidia and would like to know how to get it to work. the one I downloaded from nvidia is PROPABLY much newer for this graphic card, because its released just beginning march
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

sorry ! ... but I don't know ! ... never had problems with my ' graphic-card ' ...
and myself didn't activate those ' propiäter-driver ' ... to maximice the power of 'nvida' ! ...
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

OK - to let me see what you are talking about then, could you please provide the URL of the webpage where you downloaded this driver from and the full name of the driver file.
webass

Post by webass »

Thanks Simon
The exact filename is: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.44.run
And it is found when I go to nvidia.de and click myself through with the dropdown menus.
Wait:
http://www.nvidia.de/object/linux-displ ... er-de.html

Exact link.

@casey972oo I am only talking about using linux in the possible screenresolution.
Which is 1368*720 or any. Without activatin the proprietary driver, I look at the screen in 800*600 and no way to change it. Thats why i feel uncomfortable.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

OK then. If you want to try and install that file you need to;-
1) open a Terminal window
2) cd to the folder where the file is kept
3) sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.44.run
4) Follow whatever instructions it gives you
5) Keep your fingers crossed that it works.
webass

Post by webass »

SimonTS wrote: 5) Keep your fingers crossed that it works.
Er, too late. This is something I already tried, sorry.
It says, I have to exit the Xserver.

What now?
Start the system in text completely?
But what Do I have to do to exit Xserver?
And why the hell is this so complicated?
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Try the following then

<CTRL>+<ALT>+<F1>
Login as root
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
Install the drivers
/etc/init.d/gdm start
<CTRL>+<ALT>+<F7> back to desktop - may need to log on.
webass

Post by webass »

Hi Simon,
I cant get on the system anymore, also not with text console.
I hacked the keystrokes into the laptop, after the bios screen could be entered, during it, before it.
But I cant enter the text based window.
I onlz get into it with the live cd.
There I tried to set the xserver off, which worked fine ( while I was on it with root access, because I onlz had the cd in, I had to set a root paswd), then entered the file for installing the DRIVER finally, but it cant be installed, because anzthing with kernel.

So, yes. I think this is verz curious, that Mint 9 worked well on this graphiccard and mint 10 doesnt. :D
I think I should try to install new again.

What is important then?
Can I put the download link of the freshest nvidia driver to the repositories anyhow???
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Before you do, I'd recommend that you have a read of this page - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... wto/Nvidia - and the link from it - http://joeslifewithubuntu.blogspot.com/ ... buntu.html
webass

Post by webass »

thanks so much for thos links and your research.
But I am a little puzzled now.
What is it they are talking about?
He says:
This guide is for installing the NVIDIA closed source binary/restricted drivers on a system running an NVIDIA graphics card.

Then:
To enable the latest version of binary driver in nvidia-current, please follow this link http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/how-to-i ... splay.html to upgrade using a PPA repository.
B... what?
So, that answers all my questions, right?
  • I would do now as follows.
  • I am installing fresh (because I couldnt go nowhere anymore)
  • I add a source in the sources list.
  • I make a systemupdate over the updatemanager.
  • I restart
  • I make a resticted hardware update with the other system update tool.

Right?
Or am I not getting ??

Return to “Installation & Boot”