Dual booting Mint 4.0 and XP...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual booting Mint 4.0 and XP...

Postby Krunk_Kracker on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:57 am

When I did it before (with Ubuntu) it was automatic, no problems at all.

Now, I have XP on one eighty gig HDD, a back-up one twenty gig HDD and a spare eighty gig (since my damn RAID controller died :() and am wanting to install Mint on the second 80 gig. I boot into the live CD, install from there, go to "advanced" and "boot loader" (or something to that nature) is already clicked, so it should boot right?

I install and reboot, and it just goes into Windows with no hesitation. I disconnect the eighty gig HDD that has Windows on it and try to boot and it tells me "Operating System Failed to Load" (or something similar)

Anything I find on the net tells to fix it using a FDD, and I don't have one anymore, it disappeared when I moved recently. It's not a problem to get one, but it can't be this damn difficult to dual boot can it?
LinuxMint Lappy - Dell Latitude | D600 (1.7 Dothan, 1024mb DDR333, Radeon Mobility 9000)

Gaming Computer - Asus P5B-Deluxe, e6400@3.2, 2048mb SuperTalent DDR2-800@DDR2-1000 (4-4-4-4), eVGA 8800GTS 320mb, WD 80g x2(RAID0)
Krunk_Kracker
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual booting Mint 4.0 and XP...

Postby Boo on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:43 pm

at the last install screen you clicked on the advanced button.
did you change the entry?
it should have said (hd0), you do not change this value.(or remove it)

sounds like grub was not installed to the mbr of hd0 so you get no grub screen at boot.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Installation & Boot