Migrating Gutsy to Daryna

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Migrating Gutsy to Daryna

Postby suleman on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:13 am

Hi, I've Gutsy installed on my computer. I want to move to Linux Mint, but without the need to reinstall ALL the applications.

Since, Daryna is based on Gutsy repositories with some extra repositories of its own, I have a hunch that, if I update my sources.lst file and add the Daryna and Medibuntu repos in it, I will be able to migrate my system to Daryna. I think this should work, because the kernel and most of the applications will remain the same, except those from the upstream repo and the other Linux Mint repos. All I'll have to then is to update these packages from the Daryna repo and install the special Linux Mint packages like Mint Menu, Control Center, artwork, etc.

Anybody thought about it? Am I thinking in the right direction? Will it work or not; and if it will work what are all the Linux Mint special packages that should be installed and which packages of ubuntu should be removed to avoid duplication of functionality?

I think many Ubuntu users like myself will be thinking of migrating to Linux Mint but not ready to take the headache of install and setting up a system from scratch.
suleman

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Migrating Gutsy to Daryna

Postby suleman on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:46 am

Hi anybody! Any comments please?
suleman

Postby Sunny Rabbiera on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:52 pm

well I personally have been able to use the mint repo's in ubuntu with moderate success.
there are a few key things I use from mint, most importantly the mint menu for my husbands transition to linux.
there are a few things that are a bit off thouugh by using the mint repos, especially involving firefox updating, if you use the mint repos in gutsy it will try to make you install version 2.0.0.6 of firefox as opposed to the latest 2.0.0.10 if you want to have a more recent version of firefox
Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mikpap on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:43 pm

You can add the mint's repositories as you described and install all or some of the mint tools. I've done it many times in the past with feisty fawn (7.04).I think though that a fresh install of daryna is the right think to do. One thing that you miss though in daryna is the add/remove utility (which you may install using apt-get) and the evolution (if you use it anyway). The software portal has a decent amount of software. The one think that I like most in mint is the mintmenu. Anyway, I think that it's quite easy to experiment and produce an elegant clone of ubuntu gg and mint daryna. Combining the best of them both is a good choice. In my laptop I have installed Daryna (main edition), I activated all ubuntu's repos, I installed add/remove utility and evolution and I am using nodoka theme (Fedora 8) with Clearlooks OSX icon theme. I installed also every other program I need using either apt-get (terminal) or add/remove utility.
That's the beauty of linux, you can do whatever you want...
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Sunny Rabbiera on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:36 pm

the major thing I want are the default icons and wallpapers, but there are ways i can take them off the live.
Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2

Postby suleman on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:10 am

Thanks everybody for the replies but one question remains: which packages of ubuntu should be removed to avoid duplication of functionality.
suleman

Postby Sunny Rabbiera on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:12 pm

well nothing really, there isnt much difference so leave it be.
Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot