mint 9 install issue - prepare partitions, no options

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brady

mint 9 install issue - prepare partitions, no options

Post by brady »

Recently I was having some issues with my machine so I decided to reinstall mint 9.
when I run through the steps to install off of my CD, I get to step 4 of 8 which is the "Prepare Partitions" step but it doesnt give me any options in the box to go to.
When I click the forward button, it tells me that no root file is defined, please pick one from the menu - but nothing is there.

any help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brady

Re: mint 9 install issue - prepare partitions, no options

Post by brady »

Still cant re-install. the system hangs and wont show any partition options to pick.
brady

Post by brady »

No help? :(
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

In a terminal window run the command "sudo fdisk -l" and post the output or post a print screen of what Gparted sees on your disk.
brady

Post by brady »

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000afb50

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 14456 116112384 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14456 14594 1105921 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 14456 14594 1105920 82 Linux swap / Solaris
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You have one linux partition and one SWAP.

For some reason your installer can't see it. Have you check the CD/DVD for errors? There is a boot option for that in the live CD/DVD.

Now you have to test your disk for erros: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

If everything is ok with the media and harddrive we may have to use gparted to repartition your HDD. Backup your important data and with gparted create a new primary partition for linux and a new SWAP partition, then try to boot again with the live CD/DVD and check if it can see the new partition layout.
brady

Post by brady »

I dont get why its having issues in the first place to be honest. I am re-installing the same version of what is already on the machine (which I am using right now) I downloaded that testdisk program but dont understand how to run it, I will have to spend some time reading the files on the site I guess.
I cant download the gparted program because of the stupid error that I get from a different thread which is:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

all data is backed up on an external drive so if I had to wipe this one clean I could do that and start all over - but it wont let me get past the partition issue..
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You don't have to download Gparted because in the Linux Mint live DVD it is installed by default: Menu > Administration > Gparted.

That error should be fixed by running on a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
I don't know why you have that problem but when it happens to me I erase the entire disk, make a new partition table, create the new partitions and it usually works.
brady

Post by brady »

when you say live dvd, do you mean the install disk that I downloaded?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Yes.

Return to “Installation & Boot”