[SOLVED] Yet Another Windows 7/LMDE Question

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nolatux

[SOLVED] Yet Another Windows 7/LMDE Question

Post by nolatux »

Hi,

I bought a new Compaq notebook yesterday and the hard drive configuration (w/ Windows 7) has 4 primary partitions (which includes a recovery partition). Gparted parted will not allow me to add a 5th. I'm very familiar with how to partition a HD and to boot multiple Linux boots in older PC's w/ one partition for Windows XP, but this situation leaves me a bit puzzled. Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. See attached a screenshot from gparted.
Screenshot.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Yet Another Windows 7/LMDE Question

Post by wayne128 »

With four primary partitions, you have to find one that can be deleted.
Usually the data partition, after saving all files, can be deleted.
Then create a new extended partition taking all the space from the previous delete.
Once you get this extended partition, proceed to create all the required logical partitions.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

That's normal behaviour. You can have a maximum of either;-
4 Primary partitions
or
3 Primary partitions and 1 Extended partition (with multiple Logical partitions 'inside' it)
nolatux

Post by nolatux »

Simon & Wayne,

Thanks for the expediency in your replies and I get your meaning. I've attached a screenshot from gparted. If I remove and add back a primary partition (with an extended partition), how can I safely preserve my user data so it will be recognized when I boot back into Windows 7?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Your main Windows system is on sda2. The most common way to proceed is to:

1. Boot into Windows.
2. Run Disk Defragment
3. Go into Windows Disk Manager. It will give you a view like Gparted.
4. Right-click on sda2 and select "Shrink"
5. Select the amount you want to shrink partition sda2. Windows will usually allow you to shrink it by approximately 50%.
6. Once that is done you will have a large unallocated space that you can make into a new extended partition using Gparted, and then into whatever logical partitions you need.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
nolatux

Post by nolatux »

Your main Windows system is on sda2. The most common way to proceed is to:

1. Boot into Windows.
2. Run Disk Defragment
3. Go into Windows Disk Manager. It will give you a view like Gparted.
4. Right-click on sda2 and select "Shrink"
5. Select the amount you want to shrink partition sda2. Windows will usually allow you to shrink it by approximately 50%.
6. Once that is done you will have a large unallocated space that you can make into a new extended partition using Gparted, and then into whatever logical partitions you need.
TD,

Thanks for your input. I've tried your suggestion and this is the message gparted returns:

"If you want more partitions you should first create an extended partition. Such a partition can contain other partitions. Because an extended partition is also a primary partition it might be necessary to remove a primary partition first." :(

EDIT: This topic seems to have been covered in depth. I'll see if I can make use of this information:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... s7#p403207

EDIT #2: The work around (for Compaq Presario) is to create recovery media in Windows7 and then (in Windows) delete the recovery partition. This then deleted the /dev/sda3 partition labeled "RECOVERY" and I now can add an extended partition.

Return to “Installation & Boot”