video fails at install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
db1911

video fails at install

Post by db1911 »

After using LM for a while on an eee-pc I wanted to install it on my home computer. Problem is, once I choose an install mode, and I've tried both regular and compatibility mode, I get the casper screen, a few other text screens scroll by quickly, then nothing. I get a no input signal in my display. I currently have an ati HD 3450 graphics card in this machine that runs ubuntu just fine, although I did use the alternate install disk for that distro. Is there a setting change that I can make prior to install that might help? The install was so smooth on the eee, but I can't figure out how to make it work at home. Any advice will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: video fails at install

Post by SimonTS »

I just want to check, as it's not overly clear, what you are reporting.

Are you saying that you get the main text menu, select to boot the Live CD (one way or another), then it fails before it ever reaches the Live desktop?

If so then it'll be down to a compatibility issue in the LiveCD kernel with your graphics card. When you get the first menu up, choose to 'edit' the command line, then add this before the final --
nomodeset
Press <ENTER> and see if that gets you into a Live desktop. If not then I'll try to point you at a few more 'cheat-codes' to try.
db1911

Post by db1911 »

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry I wasn't clearer, but yes that is exactly what happens. I never make it to the LiveCD or any point where I can actually attempt an install. I'll try your advice tonight. I suspected video card compatibility but don't really know enough to get around that stumbling block on my own. I'll be sure to let you know how it works out. Cheers.
db1911

Post by db1911 »

SimonTS wrote:I just want to check, as it's not overly clear, what you are reporting.

Are you saying that you get the main text menu, select to boot the Live CD (one way or another), then it fails before it ever reaches the Live desktop?

If so then it'll be down to a compatibility issue in the LiveCD kernel with your graphics card. When you get the first menu up, choose to 'edit' the command line, then add this before the final --
nomodeset
Press <ENTER> and see if that gets you into a Live desktop. If not then I'll try to point you at a few more 'cheat-codes' to try.
OK that got me a little farther along. I'm now stuck at the Linux Mint 10 splash screen where I assume that the live CD (or USB) is trying to load. 40 minutes in and it's at the same spot. Anymore tricks that will get me closer to install are much appreciated. Cheers
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

OK. Next step;-

Do the same as you did before to get to the editing part. Add the 'nomodeset' command, but also;-
1) change 'splash' and 'quiet' to 'nosplash' and 'noquiet' - this allows you to see the boot messages.
2) Possibly - try adding noapci and noapic to disable power-management stuff, or even look at disabling them in the BIOS - just a thought.

Return to “Installation & Boot”