Restoring standard VGA console

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thefish

Restoring standard VGA console

Post by thefish »

Hi everyone,

I am running LMDE. After GRUB, when I boot up I see text scrolling on the screen. Initially the text I see is your “standard” text (80 columns by 25 rows) with classic “DOS-like” VGA fonts. At some point fairly early in the boot process the resolution changes to a much higher resolution but I still have VGA style fonts. Then, a little while later, the fonts all change to something a little thinner and more “modern” looking.

Now don't get me wrong... I understand the advantages of having a higher resolution console and having aesthetically pleasing font and Unicode support on the console. BUT is there a way I can turn all of this off and get back to my classic DOS-style 80x25 VGA?

The reason I am asking is because I run DOSEMU on the console in text-mode to run a number of mission critical DOS applications. As you probably know running a DOS application in 64-bit Windows is impossible without using a Hypervisor like VirtualBox. So running in DOSEMU on 64-bit Linux is rapidly shaping up to be the best way to run legacy DOS apps on modern hardware. But these applications look stupid running on the “modern” console with resolutions and fonts that were never imagined by the original programmers. My primary concern is getting these DOS applications should look as much like they did running on the original target hardware.

Any help in the mechanics of console resolution and console mode fonts would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

The Fish
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Restoring standard VGA console

Post by mads »

You may want to install startupmanager to fix big fonts and splash screen resolution

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install startupmanager
Then go to Menu > Applications > Administration > StartUp-Manager > choose 1280x1024
and 24 bits in the Resolution and Color depth drop-down menus

PS! startupmanager is installed by default in Mint 10, but not in LMDE.

Return to “Installation & Boot”