[SOLVED]Flashing BIOS

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryLuke

[SOLVED]Flashing BIOS

Post by JerryLuke »

Can anyone tell me how to flash (update) the BIOS on an old Dell PC running Linux Mint 10 LXDE? I need to update from A08 to A10 and it is next to impossible to do without Windows. I've been all over the forums and Google.

Several tutorials point to the package smbios-utils or libsmbios-bin. Neither exist in Synaptic, nor any other location I can search on the internet.

Help!!

Jerry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linmint777

Re: Flashing BIOS

Post by linmint777 »

and it is next to impossible to do without Windows
the word impossible does not exist in my dictionary.

of course you can, since I have use of reason operating systems depend on and
NOT the bios of them.

From the DELL support page:
Run the BIOS update utility from DOS or DRMK environment (Non-Windows users)

NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS or DRMK USB Memory Key. This executable file does not create the DOS or DRMK system files. The free size of the bootable DOS or DRMK USB Memory Key should be larger than 15 Mega Bytes.

Copy the file S540113-DRMK.exe to a bootable USB Memory Key.

Boot from the USB Memory Key to the DOS or DRMK prompt.

Run the file by typing Y:\S540113-DRMK.exe(where y is the drive letter where the executable is located).
Easy, right?
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Not sure if it'd be the same, but guess couldn't hurt to read through it. About updating bios on old dells, so seems to have much in common with your situation. Hope they help ya out.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=37665

and

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 95&start=0
JerryLuke

Post by JerryLuke »

I found the issue. I was trying to install the BIOS packages on a virtual machine to test them. When I got home to my actual setup, I was able to install the required packages and updated the BIOS without issue. :D

Jerry
linmint777

Re: [SOLVED]Flashing BIOS

Post by linmint777 »

cool, it's solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”