Boot stops and screen flickers before fully booted

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tryl

Boot stops and screen flickers before fully booted

Post by tryl »

I just updated my Mint 10 Debian edition, which I haven't done for a couple of months. It was about 400 updates.

When I booted, the boot sequence stopped and there just was a cursor on the screen which was (besides the normal blinking) flickering more random. About every 2/3 sec there is a short harddrive activity. When I press the power button the computer shuts down nicely.

I have no problem booting in failsafe.

When I edited the grub config by removing the quiet option, and tried booting a couple of times, some different messages are flickering (with the time stamp from the boot messages). Some of them are

Code: Select all

lp: driver loaded but no device found

Code: Select all

Bluetooth: RFCOMM: TTY layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM: socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM: ver 1.1
The last message before the flickering is about initializing acpi, then the screen goes blank and the flickering starts, so I tried booting with noacpi and acpi=off. Nothing changed, except when I pressed the power button the computer just turned off, so I guess acpi got disabled.

Finally, I'm using the freedom hating nVidia driver. The nouveau crashed the computer about one a day when I installed Mint, and if I get a much stable system, I can hate freedom a little.

Does anybody have a clue to what's wrong or even better: How to fix it? I'd hate to tell my Windows friends that I reinstalled.

Have a happy day,
redards Simon from Denmark
:wq
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Boot stops and screen flickers before fully booted

Post by richyrich »

Don't know if this will help . .
Try replacing the noacpi with the nomodeset option in the boot line.

-

Return to “Installation & Boot”