Linux Mint Debian Edition & openSUSE Dual Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint Debian Edition & openSUSE Dual Boot

Post by linux_rules »

Hi,

I am using openSUSE 11.4 & wish to try Linux Mint Debian Edition.

I want to keep the existing openSUSE installation & install Linux Mint Debian Edition alongside.

If I install normally using the Linux Mint Debian Edition installation disc, will the setup recognize my existing installation and add a grub menu entry as Linux distros usually do in case of an existing Windows installation ?

Please reply.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition & openSUSE Dual Boot

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes it will. I had a dual boot with LMDE and openSUSE 11.4 for a while, and it used the LMDE Grub. I used LMDE's Grub because openSUSE uses Grub Legacy, and it takes a little more configuration to get it to recognize and boot your LMDE.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

tdockery97 wrote:Yes it will. I had a dual boot with LMDE and openSUSE 11.4 for a while, and it used the LMDE Grub. I used LMDE's Grub because openSUSE uses Grub Legacy, and it takes a little more configuration to get it to recognize and boot your LMDE.
Thanks a lot. :D
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

@tdockery97
Hi,
my friend is using Ubuntu 10.04. He wants to try LMDE too. Same question once more, will LMDE setup add grub entry for the existing Ubuntu installation ?

Because its somebody else's PC, I don't want to proceed without asking.

TIA

Return to “Installation & Boot”