How create a bootable LinuxMint on USB From its DVD?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

How create a bootable LinuxMint on USB From its DVD?

Post by ilAli »

Hi.
i have a LinuxMint 10 Gnome 32bit DVD. i wanted to installed LinuxMint on my friend PC but unfortunately his PC has a CD drive not DVD drive.
Is it possible to crate a bootable USB from LinuxMint DVD? if yes, How can i do this?
i should add i have windows 7 now.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: How create a bootable LinuxMint on USB From its DVD?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Check out UNetbootin, it will allow you to make LiveUSB out of .iso image. It's available for all operating systems.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
wobbe98

Post by wobbe98 »

Try this when running linux.

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/usbdrive bs=4M;sync

You could probably indentify the usb stick with fdisk -l

Or google unetbootin.

Also, if a computer came without a dvd drive it might also be too old to support booting from usb.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you have a computer with Windows, you can use Universal USB Creator from http://www.pendrivelinux.com. I have found this to be a very reliable program that can make USB's that are also bootable on older computers. Note that it does not run in Wine.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
kamalx

Post by kamalx »

Hi

I was looking for a solution to exactly the same problem today and found one; it seemed to have worked for me so posting it in reply to your problem.

Some info before I begin:
I used: Ubuntu 10.04 as my main OS, an 8 GB USB stick for creating the boot disk and the Linux Mint 10 (KDE) DVD ISO (don't forget to do an md5 checksum on this). I created the disk with the "Persistence" option with 4GB assigned for persistent data, which means I can use the USB stick to save data and customizations while in the live session; you do not need this if all you want to do is use it for installation on a hard drive.

I mounted my 8 GB USB stick on the Ubuntu box, wiped it clean and formatted it to FAT filesystem using the disk utility that comes along with Ubuntu. Once the formatting completed, I just used the Ubuntu's "Startup disk creator" utility and pointed it to the Linux Mint 10 ISO image instead of an Ubuntu ISO image; my box booted from it happily without any issues at all (although I am having issues booting from it on a friend's box which has a newer graphic card; i have NVidia 9800GT on my box which gave me no trouble at all).

Since you are using windows, you might want to follow instructions for windows os on this page <http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download>, point number 2 - select "USB Stick", select your OS (I checked Ubuntu since I used Ubuntu for creating the disk) and click "Show me how" to see a step by step guide into the process with relevant screenshots. Using the Mint 10 DVD ISO image instead of Ubuntu ISO worked for me, hopefully it might work just as well for you too. :)

Cheers!
Kamalx
spider2097

Post by spider2097 »

The easiest way I have found is using the USB Start-up Disk Creator in Linux Mint 9. This can be run from the Live DVD & will install an ISO image to a USB stick & provide persistence. The ISO image can be from the DVD itself or stored on hard-drive. Obviously, this requires downloaded images of LM10 (or other) editions to be stored otherwise you'll only be able to create a USB install of Isadora (not, IMO, a necessarily bad thing :lol: ) This creates a "Live USB" which can be used to boot a PC or as installation media.

Note : this utility does not seem to recognise Debian-based ISO images such as for LMDE or the latest Linux Mint Xfce, but seems to work fine with the Ubuntu-based versions. I haven't tried this with distro's based on Fedora/Red Hat and so I can't speak about those.

I do have 1 question about this utility actually. When it asks about how big the persistence section should be, what is stored in this persistence bit? Is it for updates, personal files etc or just desktop settings?
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

OK, i used Unetbootin for creating an boot-able USB for installing Linux Mint 10 gnome inside Windows XP SP3 but at the end of installation it showed me this error:
"cannot download the metalink and there for the ISO. for more information please see the log file: C:\..."
what should i do to solve this problem?
is it possible to burn Linux Mint 10 iso file on 2 CDs instead of 1 DVD or an USB? if yes, how?
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

in the gui, i belive you selected the linux version. thats a hand drop down to download those for your. I suggest you browse for your iso, then notice that it detects your version.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

ilAli: No, it is not possible. You can download the CD version of Mint, and after install, on the Welcome Screen, you can choose to upgrade to the DVD version. The things that did not fit on a CD are downloaded and installed now.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

AlbertP wrote:ilAli: No, it is not possible. You can download the CD version of Mint, and after install, on the Welcome Screen, you can choose to upgrade to the DVD version. The things that did not fit on a CD are downloaded and installed now.
Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”