Bootloader cannot be installed on hd0 (solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andimint

Bootloader cannot be installed on hd0 (solved)

Post by andimint »

Hello everybody, I am installing Linux Mint 10 on my Acer Travelmate notebook right now. It is the only OS I install on this notebook. Installation worked fine until the Bootloader should be installed. I get a message that the bootloader cannot be installed on hd0 (which was standard choice at the screen where you modify partition settings...). Now the system asks me if I want to install the bootloader at another place: /dev/sda (this ist the harddisc itself) or /dev/sda6 (this will be my root-partition for linux Mint). Another alternativ is /dev/sda7 but this will be my homepartition so this makes definitly no sense...Question: should I decide for /dev/sda or the root-partition. Hope somebody can help, since I Have just this live-system I am writing this post from.Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Bootloader cannot be installed on hd0

Post by wayne128 »

andimint wrote:Hello everybody, I am installing Linux Mint 10 on my Acer Travelmate notebook right now. It is the only OS I install on this notebook. Installation worked fine until the Bootloader should be installed. I get a message that the bootloader cannot be installed on hd0 (which was standard choice at the screen where you modify partition settings...). Now the system asks me if I want to install the bootloader at another place: /dev/sda (this ist the harddisc itself) or /dev/sda6 (this will be my root-partition for linux Mint). Another alternativ is /dev/sda7 but this will be my homepartition so this makes definitly no sense...Question: should I decide for /dev/sda or the root-partition. Hope somebody can help, since I Have just this live-system I am writing this post from.Thank you!

since you have only ONE Linux OS, you should install the boot loader on the MBR of the first boot drive.
it is usually /dev/sda
viking777

Post by viking777 »

/dev/sda for my money.

I frequently install bootloaders on partitions but if you do that they don't get written to the mbr (which is why I do it - because I have already got something written there). In your case as you have nothing else on the puter (including the mbr presumably) then if you put it on /dev/sda6 it won't boot.
andimint

Post by andimint »

ok, are you shure (cause this is not my root-partition)? sorry for asking that but i only want to make one (succesful) attempt :D
andimint

Post by andimint »

Yes!!! It worked! Thank you!

Return to “Installation & Boot”