[Solved] How to create extended partition while kping data

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] How to create extended partition while kping data

Post by Roland »

Trying to install LinuxMint (Dual boot) on my brand new PackardBell with W7 pre-installed. W7 took all of the 1 TB disk, and I had a hard time in shrinking the partitions (hours) and restarting W7 with the recoveryDVD I burned before.

Now I am stuck: Mint installation says there is no 'usable' diskspace (600MB unused!), and I started Gparted. Gparted says: It is not possible to create more than 4 primary partitions: create an extendend partition.
How do I do that in a non-destructive way?

/dev/sda1 ntfs PQSERVICE (18GB)
/dev/sda2 ntfs SYSTEM RESERVED (100GB)
/dev/sda3 ntfs Pachard Bell (96GB)
/dev/sda4 ntfs DATA (200GB)

and 615GB unused.
Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: How to create an extended partition while keeping data

Post by viking777 »

I would be tempted to answer that you right click on the empty space and select New followed by Extended partition, but that seems so obvious that I can't believe you haven't tried it. Does that not work?

As you are only dealing with empty space here there is no way you can damage anything.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Your PQService partition seems a little large, it's usually about 2GB. Also what's on the PackardBell partition, is this your Windows system? In order to create an extended partition, you are going to have to lose one of the existing primary ones as Windows only allows max 4 major partitions per drive. To do this you are going to have to backup your Data partition assuming it is only data, delete the existing partition, create an extended partition on the free space, create a new Data partition within the extended one and restore your backup. Note however that this will affect your drive letters in Windows, though this can be re-mapped. Once you have the extended partition you should be able to install mint in any free space left.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

viking777 wrote:I would be tempted to answer that you right click on the empty space and select New followed by Extended partition, but that seems so obvious that I can't believe you haven't tried it. Does that not work?
No, it doesn't work: it gives the warning about the extended partition.

I could install W7 from scratch, but I only have 'recovery DVDs' so I do not think that will work.
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

remoulder wrote:Your PQService partition seems a little large, it's usually about 2GB. Also what's on the PackardBell partition, is this your Windows system? In order to create an extended partition, you are going to have to lose one of the existing primary ones as Windows only allows max 4 major partitions per drive. To do this you are going to have to backup your Data partition assuming it is only data, delete the existing partition, create an extended partition on the free space, create a new Data partition within the extended one and restore your backup. Note however that this will affect your drive letters in Windows, though this can be re-mapped. Once you have the extended partition you should be able to install mint in any free space left.
Yes, that makes sense! Should be no problem as I do not have yet data (brand new PC); however, I will backup anyway.
I am not familiar with W7 (but knew XP very good); any place in W7 where I can tell the system to store on C: and not on D: ?
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

It looks like Packard Bell are playing funny buggers in the way they've set up the partitions. Usually Windows OEM installs come as one primary for the Windows OS itself including your data, and one recovery partition (both Primary). Windows 7 also adds a bootloader partition of a few 100mb into the mix, also a primary. The recovery partition only needs about 20gb, so I'd be asking what the partitions are for and why they're so big.

I'd also be tempted to wipe the lot and install from scratch too, that way you'll only use 2 Primary partitions, leaving the rest for multiple Linux distros if you like. You'll need a proper installation disc for Windows which they never give you.

We don't discuss illegal downloads around here, but for things like this I'd have no problem in finding a disc matching your Windows edition, download and install it with the product key on your sticker attached to your PC.
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

Roland wrote:
remoulder wrote:Your PQService partition seems a little large, it's usually about 2GB. Also what's on the PackardBell partition, is this your Windows system? In order to create an extended partition, you are going to have to lose one of the existing primary ones as Windows only allows max 4 major partitions per drive. To do this you are going to have to backup your Data partition assuming it is only data, delete the existing partition, create an extended partition on the free space, create a new Data partition within the extended one and restore your backup. Note however that this will affect your drive letters in Windows, though this can be re-mapped. Once you have the extended partition you should be able to install mint in any free space left.
Yes, that makes sense! Should be no problem as I do not have yet data (brand new PC); however, I will backup anyway.
I am not familiar with W7 (but knew XP very good); any place in W7 where I can tell the system to store on C: and not on D: ?
It worked. Installing Mint now :P

We don't discuss illegal downloads around here, but for things like this I'd have no problem in finding a disc matching your Windows edition, download and install it with the product key on your sticker attached to your PC.
I fully agree.
Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”