64 bit won't install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ator60

64 bit won't install

Post by ator60 »

I have tried 3 times to install the 64 bit mint on a newly built computer, and it gets to almost finished, and locks up. Live CD runs fine. I ran the compatibility check, and there are several items with error messages. Win7 64 would not install either. 32 bit installed fine. Specs are: mobo, MSI 760 GM, processor AMD quad core 3.0 ghz, 8 gig of DDR3 ram, Nvidia 8400GS 512 meg video card, 600 watt power supply, 500 gig HD, Have XP, win 7, Peppermint One, and Linux Mint 32 bit. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: 64 bit won't install

Post by nunol »

What Mint are you using? Mint 9 LTS, Mint 10, Mint 11 RC, LMDE, etc...
ator60

Post by ator60 »

First I tried 10, then tried the RC of 11. Same thing on both.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

ator60 wrote:32 bit installed fine..
Missed that on first read..

First item I would check
  • Are there any BIOS updates from the manufacturer available
  • Since it also has a problem with win7 64bit
    --are there any driver updates that make that OS install
There don't seem to be any BIOS updates being listed, but in case I missed it, you should still check..
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P35 ... =Win7%2032

As a fallback position, I would try a 32bit Linux install, since if you don't have more than 4GB of RAM installed, you are not getting much if any in the way of improved performance from the system, using a 64bit OS..
-you can always add the PAE memory extensions, if you have to use the 32bit OS version
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension
ator60

Post by ator60 »

I had three OS's on this 500 gig HD, so I thought maybe add another one and let Mint 11 have the whole disk. It doesn't show sdb as an option to install to. Only shows sda, and all the partitions. I even tried the 32 bit, same thing. I'm going to give 10 a try and see if it will install to sdb. I'm adding 8 more gig of ram to make a total of 16 gig, and was REALLY looking forward to using the 64 bit.
ator60

Post by ator60 »

No luck, so am giving up for the present. I added another 8 gig of DDR3, and had a DVD of Ubuntu Studio handy, so I ran it, and it installed to sdb, without a hitch. I don't care for Ubuntu, so I put in the RC Linux Mint 11, and sdb showed up. I tried to install it alongside Ubuntu. It got to 3/4 installed and stopped. Locked up. I shut down, put in the 32 bit, of LM 11, and it barely got started. So, next I tried installing LM 11, 32 bit, by using the entire 500 gig drive, it made it halfway before locking up. I have removed the drive and will try it on a different computer. Never ran into this problem before.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

That is a odd problem, why would Ubuntu Studio work and Mint fail...
ator60

Post by ator60 »

I bought another 500 gig HD today, and tried to install Mint 11, 32 bit. SDB was not present as an install point. Tried the 64 bit,and Mint 10, still no show. Popped in a live CD of Peppermint One, showed SDB, so I installed it. Then proceeded to try the 32 bit of Mint 11. It made it about halfway, on the progress bar and locked up. No keyboard, no mouse, nothing. I installed my first distro in January of 2001, Mandrake 7.2. I've never had this problem. they either won't start to install or they install, and then it boots to a black screen. I have downloaded this release 11 times, checked the disk , ran compatibility, checked MD5. There must be something in the setup of this machine, but the puzzler is why did Peppermint install, without a hitch? First time I have given up.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Strange that 10, Win 7 and 11 wouldn't install. What's interesting is there was a bug in the beta ubuntu 11.04 disks and they would not install to all machines properly. Once final came out they had resolved the bug and I'm not sure what it was. I just wonder if the Mint 11 iso was begun while that bug existed on ubuntu and not updated to bring in the fix? I had tried Ubuntu 11.04 64, Kubuntu and Xubuntu....same result on all till final release. Good md5sum didn't matter and you could burn till you ran out of disks. They squashed it but most had to go to 32 bit till it was fixed. Lots of posts on the Ubuntu forums about it before Natty released final.

Return to “Installation & Boot”