Grub doesn't load correctly after Mint 10 LXDE install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roosh

Grub doesn't load correctly after Mint 10 LXDE install

Post by roosh »

I was trying out Mint 10 LXDE live cd on my really old computer and decided to install it. I chose to install it on the entire disk. The installation part went fine.

However, when I rebooted, instead of booting up my new OS, grub just stays up and prompts me to enter text in a command-line format, like this:

Code: Select all

grub> 
I'm pretty new to linux, so I have no idea what to do now (I tried to install mint again, but got the same results :( ). Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
StanTheMan

Re: Grub doesn't load correctly after Mint 10 LXDE install

Post by StanTheMan »

This acts as though the MBR was written to the wrong place.
In a straight singe-boot install , during the install you get a partition list.
You would set the main partition to mount on " / " , but after that sertting you would set the MBR to write to the Master Drive (usually ' sda ") , but NOT to a partition.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

What STM said.

Just reinstall grub using one of the many utils available for the purpose and ya should be good to go. Once you've made sure it's installed to the right place ... sda.
roosh

Post by roosh »

First off, thanks for the help so far. It's been a lot more than I am used to receiving :)

So I tried to reinstall mint by setting the partitions manually. I told the installer to format almost all my harddrive to ext4 and set its mount point to "/". Then I set aside some space for swap. The install again seemed to go fine. However, when I rebooted I got the message:

error: out of disk
grub rescue>
So I tried to reinstall grub by following directions here: (with the exception that I used my mint CD instead of an ubuntu cd). It asked something like: "Are you sure /dev is mounted" while I was reinstalling grub (I was browsing my /boot folder at the time, so I assume /dev was mounted). It then said that installation had no errors.

I rebooted to the now familiar:

error: out of disk
grub rescue>
I then tried to fix grub from this screen following the advice here. "ls" gives me only:

(hd0) (hd0,msdos1) (fd0)

I found that by doing an "ls (hd0,msdos1)/" I could see the normal files usually in a linux "/" directory (including the boot directory). I tried to "ls (hd0,msdos1)/boot" but I get a "error: out of disk."

I am stuck at this point as I cannot do commands than involve using (hd0,msdos1)/boot.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Check this thread at the Ubuntu Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1331730&page=3

It may be a BIOS option or a BIOS problem.
roosh

Post by roosh »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not at home now, so I can't do anything with my bios at the moment.

However, lubuntu 10.04 (or was it 10.10?) booted fine on the same computer, so I am inclined to say it's not the bios problem as mention in the thread. Nevertheless, I plan to have a look at my bios.

Return to “Installation & Boot”