Installing Mint 9 using external DVD/CD drive help.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
george238

Installing Mint 9 using external DVD/CD drive help.

Post by george238 »

I am about to purchase a low energy desk top computer...http://www.giadatech.com/index.php?app= ... =show&id=5 with no on-board DVD/CD drive
and need to know if I can install Mint 9 Isadora on it by using an external DVD/CD ROM drive. (I already have the iso 64 on DVD disc) The guy in the shop says it is no different to installing from an inbuilt ROM burner on a PC towers but I have some doubt. Is this type of install as straight forward as it always has been on my old tower PC ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Installing Mint 9 using external DVD7CD drive help.

Post by JasonLG »

george238 wrote:I am about to purchase a low energy desk top computer...http://www.giadatech.com/index.php?app= ... =show&id=5 with no on-board DVD/CD drive
and need to know if I can install Mint 9 Isadora on it by using an external DVD/CD ROM drive. (I already have the iso 64 on DVD disc) The guy in the shop says it is no different to installing from an inbuilt ROM burner on a PC towers but I have some doubt. Is this type of install as straight forward as it always has been on my old tower PC ?
Yes if the computer in question can boot from USB. Which it should since it doesn't have a built in disc drive. If you have any trouble you can always try booting off a USB stick.
george238

Re: Installing Mint 9 using external DVD7CD drive help.

Post by george238 »

Thanks JasonLG. I am confident that it does have USB bios. I thought that I had read somewhere, that Operating Systems required external transfers by Sata or the old flat data cable system. I tried 'Googling` but only came across netbook installs via flash drives and zero on external optical drives which disturbed me a little. I can't stand the thought of purchasing this new box and being stuck with just Win 7.
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installing Mint 9 using external DVD/CD drive help.

Post by bennachie »

In my experience, two netbooks (an Acer and an eeePC), and one desktop without a built-in CD/DVD drive (Lenovo), boot automatically from the relevant optical disk when an external CD/DVD reader is connected via USB. YMMV, of course, but I think that you're likely to be on safe ground.
george238

Re: Installing Mint 9 using external DVD/CD drive help.

Post by george238 »

Thanks benachie, Gives me even more confidence. Also I wish to connect my 17" monitor (currently on my old PC) to it. I assume it will fit ok. I mean, the picture size will be 1280x800 or above I presume. Sorry to sound ignorant in these matters but never bought a brand new box before!

Return to “Installation & Boot”