No option to install alongside other operating systems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrbox24

No option to install alongside other operating systems

Post by mrbox24 »

I do not get the option to shrink my ntfs partition and install there. I'm new to this fora however i have been using mint linux since mint 9 and have installed MANY linux distros to this drive. I abandoned windows last year however i need it for my new job to run software that wine and a vm just wont cut it.

Please help i borrowed an optical drive to install xp and would be a bother to get it again. i can provide screenshot of how partition manager of both mint and ubuntu handle my drive i have never seen it before. thanx :)

lmgtfy me if you must lol i'm active on xda and did search w/o seeing my issue
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
since1876

Re: No option to install alongside other operating systems

Post by since1876 »

I'm having the same problem as you. I'm going to keep searching Google, but hopefully someone who knows how to fix this will notice this topic! If I find anything, I'll reply here again.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Can you please provide a little more information? What version of Mint (9 / 10 / 11, Main, KDE, LMDE, etc). Also, as you say you can provide screenshots, please do so. More information = more chance of helping.
since1876

Post by since1876 »

GParted is telling me there's a bad sector on my harddrive, so I guess I need to run chkdsk... is that a reason why it would disable the option? I've got lm10. I'm going to run chkdsk in Windows real quick, so I'll check for answers in a couple hours or so.
since1876

Post by since1876 »

Well, I really only wanted to keep Windows for NetFlix and iTunes (for my phone)... so I guess I'll just kill it all and use a 15gb partition to put xp on there. I think that'll make life easier. Thanks for sort of trying to help, Simon.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Certainly your system will be a lot cleaner if you ate willing to partition the drive from scratch. Just make sure that you install XP before Mint.

Return to “Installation & Boot”