mint4win installation: no dual boot in Win XP

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
agdl

mint4win installation: no dual boot in Win XP

Post by agdl »

Hi,

Sorry I am relatively new to all of this. I have in the past had Ubuntu on my old laptop running Win XP. I had installed that fine using WUBI and the dual boot option came up fine.

However, I have now removed Ubuntu and I am looking to put Linux Mint on my old laptop instead. However, when installing it from Unetbootin the process goes along absolutely fine until the end. Instead of asking me whether I want to reboot manually or reboot now, no screen like this comes up. The windows just close. I thought that maybe just rebooting would show it as being installed (as Windows shows it as being installed). However, on reboot it just goes directly to Win XP.

Anybody have any ideas for being able to get Linux Mint on my comp?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: mint4win installation: no dual boot in Win XP

Post by SimonTS »

First - welcome to the Minty side. It's nice to see another come over from Ubuntu.

I'm slightly confused by what exactly you're trying to do 2nd time round. Are you trying to install Mint via WUBI again, or have you created a bootable CD / USB that you are using to create a proper 'dual-boot' system? Could you please provide some more information, such as what your hardware is, for you have the partitions set up, what version of Mint are you using (9 / 10 / 11, Main, KDE, LMDE, ...)

With more information I, or one of the many who know far more than me, may be able to point you in the right direction to start trying to troubleshoot this issue.
agdl

Post by agdl »

Thank you for your welcome. Yes, so far I have been impressed by what I have seen online regarding Mint.

Sorry if my original explanation was poor. Each time I have tried to install Linux Mint I have done so using mint4win (wubi) installed using Unetbootin on a 2gb Kingston USB flash/USB drive (same method I used to successfully install Ubuntu).

I am only vaguely familiar with how to do a proper dual boot and as I am just trying to see whether Mint is the 'one for me' at the moment I am just looking to have a play around in it.

The machine I am currently trying to load Linux Mint 10 is a Samsung R40 with these specs;

Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66ghz
Mem: 1gb.
HD: 100gb with 58gb free
Main OS: XP Media Edition (Sp 2)

Some of the things I have tried to overcome this:

1: Reformatting the USB drive and reinstalling using Unetbootin;
2: Turned off both firewall and anti-virus software during install;

I hope that helps you a bit more!
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I'm not sure what to suggest as I've never used mint4win or WUBI to install Linux. Your best bet would probably be to close this thread and open one in the 'mint4win' forum instead - that's what it's there for.

Sorry not to be of any help.
agdl

Post by agdl »

Thanks very much for the help anyway! I’m slightly embarrassed to admit this, but despite looking through the forum I managed to completely miss the mint4win forum altogether! :oops: I will do just that and put a new thread on that form instead. Thank you very much for pointing this out to me.

Thank you again for the help and hopefully I’ll be on Linux Mint very soon!

Return to “Installation & Boot”