creating partions for a new installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guns90

creating partions for a new installation

Post by guns90 »

Good morning. A couple of years ago I tossed Windows and began using linux exclusively. Installation was easy because I alwas saved what I wanted to keep and did a clean install. When my old computer died recently, I built a new one, but my wife demanded that I load it with Windows for her use. I installed Windows 7 on the sda drive and anxiously awaited the Linux Mint 11 RC release. I downloaded it last night and attempted to load Mint 11 on sdb. The installer gives me three choices; 1) Install along side Windows, 2) Delete Windows and install Linux, or 3) Other. When I go into 3) Other, I have to choose which drive I want, (I now have three) and establish the partitions. When I chose to use the entire drive, it told me I needed to establish a root area. When I did that and went to continue, it told me I should have a swap area. This is going to sound dumb for someone who has used linux so long, but I have never had to establish the partitions before. How should I set up sdb drive to use it completely for Linux Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PowerBarry43

Re: creating partions for a new installation

Post by PowerBarry43 »

Hi,

If you didn't already know a swap area is a separate partition that linux will use for virtual memory. you can make one just like you would make any other partition from the installer. For linux mint I recommend making a partition with the file system set to "SWAP" about 2.1GB should be enough and another partition with the file system set to "XFS" and set the mount point to root (/) which will be the main partition for linux mint. Once that's done you should be ready to install.

Hope that helped :)

Edit: when you make new partitions make sure you use sdb not sda sorry if that sounds a little obvious! ;) your swap area should be sdb1 and your XFS partition should be sdb2
Last edited by PowerBarry43 on Wed May 18, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
guns90

Post by guns90 »

Thanks, Barry. I'll give it a shot.
since1876

Post by since1876 »

He's right about all that, but for swap I've heard several times that 1.5 times the size of your ram is usually a good size for your swap disk... But it shouldn't matter too much if you've already done it to 2.1gb like he said.

Return to “Installation & Boot”