No boot from disk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chejose

No boot from disk

Post by chejose »

I have been running Ubuntu (4 years) and have been very satisfied with it. But the latest versions have changed things too much... so I am looking at alternatives.

I downloaded Fedora 14 y 15, burned both, and they worked fine.

I downloaded Mint 10 DVD and burned it, and at boot got a black screen.
So I downloaded the CD version, and exactly the same.
So I downloaded the DVD version a second time, and still only get a black screen.

I use K3b for burning, and have never had problems. So something strange is happening.

Does it ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks,

José
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: No boot from disk

Post by nunol »

Have you tried to boot with the "nomodeset" boot option?
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-ub ... artup.html

Have you tested other boot options:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
chejose

Post by chejose »

Thanks for your suggestion, but the startup does not even get that far.

Thee is one line of text, that appears with any distro on startup, then nothing. The CD/DVD runs a bit, then stops. F6 does nothing.

Quite frustrating. I remember playing with Mint some years back, and I liked it... I would much prefer Mint than Fedora.

José
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Do you get to the first screen, the one with the countdown?
chejose

Post by chejose »

No, not even that, Just a black screen.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Am very newbish. As such listening to me can very easily cause much worsening of your situation and probs. :D

Might help if you list system specs for people. What graphics card etc so forth. Would also try to burn a buntu distro livecd and see if it runs. If it does and Mint won't. Then something very, very strange is indeed happening here.

Are you sure you have bios set to boot from the disk drive you're using ? Sometimes the most obvious things get overlooked it seems. lol ... nunol posted while I was editting. Seems that's two votes for checking bios. :D
Last edited by lmintnewb on Wed May 18, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

In that case only checking the BIOS for some option...

Have you tried Mint 11 RC? It's still not the final stable release...
chejose

Post by chejose »

Well, lmintnewb, I wish that it were that simple. I repeat, I have been running Ubuntu for four years, and have downloaded, burned and tried different versions for a long time. And the fact that the Fedora CDs I just burnt worked with no problems, indicates that the problem is other.

Thanks anyway.

José
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Hi there. What version of Mint 10th are you using? It would be useful to know what graphics card you have in that machine of yours. Did you check the MD5 checksum before burning? Not trying to treat you as a newbie - they ate the questions I would ask myself too.
chejose

Post by chejose »

Hmmm... didn't realize there was more than one version... didn't pay enough attention. Will have to look at that. And normally I don't worry about the checksum since I never have had a problem. But will work on that also.

Thanks... will get at it when I can.

José
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

More random babbling. Last post, I gotta get to work. :D

It's not a bad disc. You tried cd you tried dvd. The odds of both files being faulty and both burns being corrupted wouldn't seem very likely. Only thing they had in common was the prog you used to burn em.

Assuming you've made other live discs and burned other iso's with it that worked fine. Doubt it's the trouble either. Sounds hardware related to me. Bios, chipset, graphics driver ... whichever.

Ya never did post the comps specs and graphics card etc.

If a buntu livecd runs on it. Then makes no sense a Mint cd wouldn't. Considering the similarities between the two. Anyway good luck. Perhaps ye have angered the LINUX MINT GAWDS !!! D:

In which case you will have to sacrafise a virgin in their honor to appease them and am not sure there are any of those left in the world anymore. Plus ya need a valcano, shrugs.

:D
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

This looked like a poss. At least summin to look at.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=39420

Return to “Installation & Boot”