no more install inside windows in katya?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evil160

no more install inside windows in katya?

Post by evil160 »

I am trying to install the new version of linux mint inside windows, however i have noticed that this is no longer an option inside of the mint4win menu. Is this just a bug for me, or has this feature been intentionally removed? If so will it be added at a later date?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: no more install inside windows in katya?

Post by altair4 »

http://linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php#problems
Windows installer

Mint4win, the Windows installer, cannot handle large ISO images and is only provided in the "CD No codecs" version of Linux Mint.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
evil160

Post by evil160 »

i am using the correct version of the disk, the version without codecs, also i am having a problem with poor performance when installed, a problem that i did not have on the older version
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Hmmmm ... Might be time to get off da fence and properly dual boot linux ? lol ... :D

Have no experience with wubi or mint4win. Personally if I were going to install linux it'd be as is meant to be dual/tri/quad booted etc. Have 3 linux installs and had very lil problem setting them up alongside an XP install. Which the XP install is bigger than the combined diskspace total for all three linux OS's, shrugs. Would think installing linux as an app under an inferior OS ( Windows and so forth ). You are giving up many of the benefits of linux and keeping much of the craptasticness inherent in windows. Though whatever floats someone's boat and diff strokes or whatever.

Think linux developers just came out with installing as an app under M$, to demonstrate their tech talents and the versatility linux is capable of. Mainly to give M$ the bird and show they could work around them and do whatever they liked with software and linux. No matter how great the craptasticness and junkiness M$ produces. :D

Why someone would install a superior operating system as an app under an inferior one, escapes me ... Would probably take the same or less effort to research properly dual bootin, as it does sorting out mint4win or whatever. Though not my system and/or problem.
evil160

Re: (solved) no more install inside windows in katya?

Post by evil160 »

it's more noob friendly then fooling around with partitions, and to be honest i would rather install it as an app inside another OS to decide if i want to go through the effort of repartitioning my drive for a new install. Anyway i managed to solve this problem on my own, i re-dled the iso image and it showed up fine.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I am glad it's working for you now. You can test any Linux OS (and non Linux OS) with a virtual machine like Virtualbox if you can't use mint4win. And yes, I think mint4win is more noob friendly than the dual boot install also but Virtualbox is also very easy.

Return to “Installation & Boot”