[Solved] Katya DVD doesn't work all the way

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tacoz

[Solved] Katya DVD doesn't work all the way

Post by tacoz »

Burned a linuxmint-11-gnome-dvd-64bit.iso. Its' md5sum checked fine and the DVD loads okay on the Samsung laptop.
However on the Lenovo W500, casper starts and then an unexpected exit occurs on a modprobe task.

a lspci on the ThinkPad produces:

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:03.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset MEI Controller (rev 07)
00:03.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset AMT SOL Redirection (rev 07)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M-E LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection
15:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ba)
15:00.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 04)
15:00.2 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 21)
15:00.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev ff)
15:00.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 11)
15:00.5 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 11)
Is it the VGA compatible controller? Are there startup command line options that I should be using instead of the default DVD options?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: Katya DVD doesn't work all the way

Post by SimonTS »

You could try to edit the boot command. At the GRUB screen, press <TAB> and edit the command line - remove the words 'quiet' and 'splash' and replace them with 'nomodeset'. If it's not getting as far as the GRUB menu, then please post the exact message here for us, take a digital photo of the screen and post that if it helps.
BenganG

Post by BenganG »

I have a similar problem. Being an amateur, I can̈́t tell how far into the boot process I get, but it appears to load the stuff with all the dots in the beginning. I can catch a glimpse of the word 'Ready', and then the screen goes blank and nothing else appears to happen. Most annoying! The same applies to both CD and DVD versions, 32-bit. Editing the command line doesn't help. It does generate a lot of output - all scrolling too fast to capture. It says something about 'sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense key: Illegal request [current]
Info fld = 0x5339f
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Add sensx: Illegal mode for this track
sr 1:0:0:0: ...'
All Greek to me.
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

SimonTS wrote:You could try to edit the boot command. At the GRUB screen, press <TAB> and edit the command line - remove the words 'quiet' and 'splash' and replace them with 'nomodeset'.
That worked great... thanks!
So. Live session loaded just fine... got Katya installed. However on restart... a black screen is all that manifests!
Restarted... and intercepted the grub menu and made those same changes again. Where can the 'nomodeset' be permanently edited? (I'll hunt in the grub folders...)
I'm gonna have to do some reading on what this 'nomodeset' is doing.
tacoz

Re: [Solved] Katya DVD doesn't work all the way

Post by tacoz »

Okay... the solution for me was to:
1. follow SimonTS advice to get the LiveDVD running
2. after the install, edit /etc/default/grub and change these lines to look like this:

Code: Select all

#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"
I'd still like to know what that "quiet splash" is/was doing or why "nomodeset" should make a difference... but at least I have Mint 11 up and running.
Thanks for the help!
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

The Ubuntu documentation on what the different options at boot-level do - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

As for the ones I gave to you,

'quiet' tells the system to report less information on screen during boot up
'splash' tells the system to show the splash-screen - which hides the message anyway.

Once you have the system working, you can put these back into make it more aesthetically pleasing.

'nomodeset' tells it to use an older set of drivers - http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Nomodeset - but this option shouldn't be needed on a running system if you have the correct drivers installed for your graphics card. If you find that you still need it then it is likely your system isn't set up properly, so I would recommend removing it and opening a new thread so we can help you get it sorted.
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

SO... finally got past the 'nomodeset' issue! Following up on SimonTS's comment that there should be correct drivers and that one doesn't want to resort to using 'nomodeset' as a permanent solution.

I found that there was a BIOS update for the W500 from IBM. Burned a CD, booted it up and applied the update.
Initially the default video mode '1680x1050' was unavailable and I had to resort to a '1440x900' mode.
I backed up 'home' and restarted the LiveDVD.
This time the DVD started, i.e. no unexpected exit on that modprobe!
And wonder of wonders, compiz is working--wasn't before--and the full video res was available.
Needless to say, a quick fresh reinstall... and yay! I have a fully functional MInt 11 with the proprietary ATI firmware driver activated, which thanks to that BIOS update finally gets to work!

Return to “Installation & Boot”