Live CD vs Full Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SimsoyZeta

Live CD vs Full Install

Post by SimsoyZeta »

I haven't gotten to install Linux Mint 11 Katya yet so far, i how ever have gotten to play around with it in Live CD. I use to have Linux Mint 10 installed by my dad princess at me and forced me to remove it in favor of Vista (worst computing decision ever!) i want to know the diffrence between Live CD and Install because Live CD seams fast for being a CD, but i want to know how much that is affected by the fact that its just a CD.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Live CD vs Full Install

Post by TBABill »

With the LiveCD you don't have a /home partition or directory to save files, nothing is saved from each restart, you get no updates and if you need proprietary drivers they will only install during the current session and need to be reinstalled on each restart. The LiveCD session is a great way to test and use it, and you can certainly just use it live if it works for you and save files to USB or some other media (your HDD, CD, etc). There are quite a few distros that are only meant to be run from the liveCD and not installed.

Linux is much faster installed than from disk for most distros. Plus you get updates, can install more software, etc.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Actual install should be much faster. If you've already tried Mint 10 on the comp and everything worked fine. Then that system should be linux mint friendly. Not sure if ya should necessarily jump to Mint 11. Some folks are having problems with it and it's recent.

Mischeivous work around. If ya were so inclined you could do summin like, I dunno .... Set up a small, yet reasonably sized partition for Mint ... install it and set grub to boot vista by default with no delay unless ya hold down the esc key when bootin up the system. Then your dad can have his vista and you can secretly indulge your Mint fetish ?

lol ... just a suggestion. Though o course if you do it and get busted. I was only kidding and shame on you for taking advice from weirdoes on the internet !!!

After thought: Not like there's a shortage of linux stuff that's made to run exclusively from RAM too. For the aspiring linux user ... Having to share a comp with over bearing parents. :D
Last edited by lmintnewb on Fri May 27, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

lmintnewb wrote:Then your dad can have his vista and you can secretly indulge your Mint fetish ?

lol ... just a suggestion. Though o course if you do it and get busted. I was only kidding and shame on you for taking advice from weirdoes on the internet !!!
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Installing Mint to a USB pen or external UBS HDD is also an option.

Return to “Installation & Boot”