Can not load mint 11 at all

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can not load mint 11 at all

Post by Stosskraft »

What I mean is since MINT 11 won't load on my PC I have re-installed MINT 10.. but I wonder if I can install the update manager from MINT 11 on my MINT 10 install?

I just wish 11 would work on my laptop :)
eric k

Post by eric k »

Seeing as you said you re-installed Mint 10 recently, and assuming you haven't made any massive changes to the defaults, it would be possible to go into your Software Sources list and change the repositories that APT pulls packages from. You would change any "julia" sources to "katya" and any "maverick" ones to "natty". Then close out of Software Sources. The update cache may or may not refresh. Go to Terminal, and do sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Apply the changes, and when you are done, you *should* be running Mint 11.

Caveat time. First, no guarantee this will work. You may break your install, and this is not the recommended way to upgrade your system to a new release. Fair warning. Second, the upgrade might be successful but you find yourself staring at the same problem you encountered with the LiveCD and install.

That said, you seem willing to give things a go, and what's the worst that happens? You end up installing Mint 10...again... :D , and maybe learn a few things along the way. At the very least this would let you determine that your issue doesn't lie with how you burned the iso you tried to install. Backup anything you wouldn't want lost, and try it out if you are game.
jchw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jchw »

I run Ubuntu 10.10 and dual boot with Mint 10. Back in April/May I tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 and had exactly the same problem with a blank screen. I tried with a USB pendrive and downloaded the ISO several times without success. I tried a CD with no success either. I then tried to upgrade my 10.10 to 11.04 which was a big mistake as I lost my 10.10 operating system as the screen went blank and I had to reinstall 10.10 wiping out my hard drive.

When Mint 11 was released I downloaded it and exactly the same thing happened - just a blank screen. I can only assume the problem has come from Ubuntu into the Mint 11 release. It seems to be linked to the driver for the graphics card.

This is a known problem in Ubuntu and there are numerous threads in the Ubuntu Forum with various workarounds. This may sound a bit negative but I was not prepared to spend hours working through the threads especially as the solutions seemed very complex and beyond my ability. I also believe that the system should be released in a working state without the need for numerous workarounds.

I am now back to Ubuntu 10.10 and Mint 10. There has been so much adverse criticism of Ubuntu 11.04 that I am very happy to stay with 10.10 but I would like to view Mint 11 some time if and when the bug is fixed.
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

I tired to upgrade from the terminal and it didn't work.

I am now back using MINT 10 and will stay with it for a while. Fun part I am really happy with it but I have easily upgraded several times and always was happy with the outcome. I guess the ubuntu guys really made a stinker this time? I am really hoping MINT goes on its own soon and doesn't rely on a system that seems to make changes for the sake of changing.

Going to wait until 12 I think.

Cheers everyone
eric k

Post by eric k »

Sorry to hear the "in place" upgrade didn't work.
rykel98

Post by rykel98 »

Guys, If Mint 11 is based on Natty, then I think you all are ambushed. Natty fails so badly to boot up that is why I am here trying to switch to Mint... and if Mint is also plagued by the Natty problems, it will be a sad day indeed!

Return to “Installation & Boot”