[SOLVED] Mint 11 - xxx "is already running" problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rfraser3

[SOLVED] Mint 11 - xxx "is already running" problem

Post by rfraser3 »

Hi, Noob question (well maybe anyway)
Just upgraded from Mint 10 to 11 and all seemed OK but when I log into my non-root user account and try to run Firefox, I get a pop-up box saying

"Close Firefox
Firefox is already running, but not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

There seems to be a problem with Googleearth too - noting happens!!!

Both the above are OK when logged in as root.

Any ideas (please)?

Rog

PS I like the look of Katya - just need to get it to work properly and I shall be happy!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rfraser3

Re: Mint 11 - xxx "is already running" problem

Post by rfraser3 »

More info - just found I can start both Firefox and Googleearth if I right click and open as administrator!

Rog
M4570D0N

Post by M4570D0N »

Have you tried opening up System Monitor, right-clicking on "firefox-bin," selecting "kill process," and then try to open firefox again?

alternatively, you could open up the terminal and type:

Code: Select all

killall firefox-bin
and then trying to reopen firefox.
rfraser3

Post by rfraser3 »

M4570D0N wrote:Have you tried opening up System Monitor, right-clicking on "firefox-bin," selecting "kill process," and then try to open firefox again?

alternatively, you could open up the terminal and type:

Code: Select all

killall firefox-bin
and then trying to reopen firefox.
Thanks - tried that but the process is not there!

I have since re-installed Katya from scratch but, this time, did not recover either my files or the software selection. Also manually installed Googleearth and I still have the same problem. Also from root, when trying to open "Users Settings", it just sits there thinking until I kill it! Looking at system monitor for that, it says it is sleeping!

I think it must be some sort of access restriction that is causing this set of problems! :(
rfraser3

Post by rfraser3 »

Solved :) - but it was something that I had to do extra with Katya as opposed to Julia. :!:

Logged into my user account (the one set up during the installation QA) and from there modified this account to be an administrator. Then I added a non-admin account. Both these work just great :D

HTH anyone else

Rog

Return to “Installation & Boot”