blackout at boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
helios
Level 1
Level 1

blackout at boot

Post by helios »

Apologies if this is covered but search isn't bringing anything up OR I'm not using the right strings...strong possibility of the second choice being correct.

So Far, this has only happened in mint, and only since the 3.0 release. Am currently running the 4.0 kde ce version and it is stellar, however as with all other of the mint distro's I've used, I am not seeing any verbose output upon boot. At first, I thought it was just a bad install and after about a minute, I would give it the old three-finger salute and get rid of it. It turns out that I just didn't wait long enough. At about 1.4 minutes, I will get a login. I was fooled because there was little or no "hard drive chewing". It does have a funny box in the corner with some cryptic numbers and symbols within but hitting enter and enter again allows me to login. From there everything is fine, but I like to see the output as it boots.

Any ideas here? I am not familiar with taking screenshots in this mode, only when I have X. I will post some screenshots if someone will tell me how to capture this area.

h
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: blackout at boot

Post by Husse »

What do you mean - do you get a completely black screen or our lovely boot splash instead of a lot of text passing by?
This is controlled by the words quiet and splash at the end of the line in menu.lst that starts the later part of the boot process
With quiet splash you see the boot splash, without them you see a lot of text and with just quiet you see a little text in the beginning and then just black :)
helios
Level 1
Level 1

Re: blackout at boot

Post by helios »

Ah...having been a resident of the lilo world for most of my time, I didn't think to check there. I am off to see what I can see there. Is this a default action? I did not set it to quiet. And yes, I do see a few words at the very first then it goes black until it is time to log in. I am also a bit puzzled by the mystery box with the cryptic numbers and letters at first as well. How do I get a shot of that aside from blocking the flash of my digital camera and hoping for a no-glare shot? ;-)

EDIT...here is the particular part of the menu.lst I believe you were referring to. According to this, I should be seeing text, correct? I see nothing...not even dead people...

which btw is a good thing. I sure would like to watch the boot process though,

title Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda3 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda3 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel memtest86+
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

h

Return to “Installation & Boot”