gnome power manager. disk resize problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vamunar

gnome power manager. disk resize problem

Post by vamunar »

i have a problem that i cannot solve because i am a newbie to linux. i have had a satellite m70 toshiba laptop and i installed linux mint 10 in it. i have used it for months and it was working great. until a few hours ago i decided to try out the new ubuntu 11.04. i installed it to dualboot with linux mint 10. i resized the disk to increase the disk for ubuntu but what i forgot is that linux has only 17 gb left of memory before installation and that i partitioned ubuntu to use 25 gb. after playing around with ubuntu i decided to go reboot and log in to mint. but when the log-in screen appeared this error came out

" Installation problem! The configuration default for Gnome Power Manager have not been installed correctly. Pls contact your computer administrator "

i tried to log-in and it just showed a black screen and went back to the log-in screen with the same message. it just comes back to the same log-in screen everytime i try to log-in. PLS HELP ME. i want to remove ubuntu 11.04 and just go back to using linux mint 10 and stretch out the 25 gb that was removed from it. how can i do this?

i have important files in linux mint that i have to recover for my THESIS. pls help me anyone. i need step by step procedure and line commands that i need to type because i am not well-versed with it. thank you very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: gnome power manager. disk resize problem

Post by lmintnewb »

Stuff like this aka: data recovery utils seems the way to go now with this. Not going to be a step by step n just a general point in a good direction. Google is your friend. Would also avoid using that box anymore than you have to. Until you can hopefully salvage whatcha need. Do not just uninstall ubuntu ... do not start moving things around and writing/overwriting stuff on your hdd. Take some time, do a lil research into some of the stuff in the link. More important is getting the general idea ... Data recovery ... data recovery tools 4 linux ... etc. Stuff along those lines.

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/st ... hard-drive

... SystemRescue CD and Trinity Rescue Kit are also well liked tools. Would look that first link over first though.

(edit) Just thought of summin else that might help. If that's the only comp w internet access you have and you need to do research to find a fix. Could get a nice opensource prog like parted magic ... it comes with firefox 4.01 as one of the tools on it. Runs completely from RAM ... so it won't touch that hard drive. If you can ... don't use that comp at all until you can see about getting your important stuff back though. Gd luck ... stressful situation.

Return to “Installation & Boot”