Cant install mint 11

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
demon

Cant install mint 11

Post by demon »

I have been using mint 9 for about a year and decided that I would upgrade to 11-burned the cd put it in my drive and found some major graphics problems! Everything was flashing-the splash screen was mostly black except for the top left corner. i have a dell dimension 3000, not sure of the graphics card but may be intel extreme 2? Tried the "nomodeset" command which gave me a normal sctreen except very low res (huge) and couldnt change res from the live cd. I went ahead & installed as i thought that would solve the problem-it didnt! I have had to re-install 9 but would like to get the graphics up to scratch and use 11. I am a newbie so please give detailled instructions. Often when i use the terminel nothing happens! I would like to know that i dont have to use 9 forever!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
masoodkamal

Re: Cant install mint 11

Post by masoodkamal »

i also have HP G42 laptop having same problem of hanging when bootup, and the mint dev. team has no idea whats happening :? ... and they simply blamed that on ubuntu !!
very lame but till now we have to let mint 11 go ... it seems they want to follow windows footsteps .. make a buggy system and it will take u to the sky ! :mrgreen:
colyn

Post by colyn »

Both machines are rated on the low end though the HP should work. You might try Mint 10.

From a review.. Pros

Affordable. Includes multi-function printer. Two-year warranty.
Cons

Sluggish performance. Reflective screen. Bloatware.
Bottom Line

With the HP G42-243CL-B, you get a relatively light, 14-inch laptop and a multi-function printer bundle at an affordable price. The 2-year Costco warranty is a plus, but there are better performing laptops out there in this price range.

The Dell has Intel graphics and since it is old Mint 11 may not have support for the particular chipset. It never was a good performer even with Windows installed.
masoodkamal

Post by masoodkamal »

i have intel HD graphics in my HpG42 laptop, and win 7 ultimate and mint 10 (64bit) is running flawlessly and smoothly ..
don't know what rocket science is implemented in mint 11 that it can not run on a laptop manufactured in last quarter of 2010 !!!
demon

Post by demon »

Thanks for the info telling me I need a new computer! (I know that). I find it difficult to accept that I am stuck with mint 9 on my dell dimension 3000. What I am asking for is some information about drivers that I can download to make 11 work. I like mint but will look for options if I cannot upgrade. I feel that the team should make the applicable drivers available as part of the os.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Can you run in Mint 9 (or 10, 11, etc):

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
and post the output?
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

lol ... touchy, can just feel all da luv pouring from this thread.

Ya might not need a new comp, but might be putting yourself through a bunch of unnecessary aggravation. If something doesn't work and requires me to spend a ton of time and effort to try to force it. Then usually take it as a good sign, I'm trying something I shouldn't be. With so many other options around ... why ?

Take it as an opportunity to try some of Mint's other stuff. Might find something that fits the exact bill you have in mind. But doesn't need you to find a fix n workarounds for this n that ... etc. As for whatever probs Mint's experiencing here. I got no problem putting things off on ubuntu. I can't stand buntu. Think it's the most overrated, hyped, messy, bloated ( often buggy ) and undeserving of recognition or acclaim distro I've every used. Only tried 2 of ubuntu's pure stuff releases. Thought they both stunk.

From what I've seen of canonical. Don't doubt they are handing Mint's devs buggy nonsense to try to sort out. The new release every 6months ready or not, buggy or not approach buntu is famous for now. :D Take it as a good sign and another reason for Mint to keep moving towards pure Debian based stuff, shrugs.

(maybe try the nomodeset thingy masoodkamal ?) ala: See this thread . http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... tu#p429435
masoodkamal

Post by masoodkamal »

i tried to run live session from usb again with quire splash removed .. and the system hanged during the script loading phase where "ok" is written in-front of entries .. it stopped after checking setting sensor limits - ok .... any guidance from it ??
masoodkamal

Re: Cant install mint 11 (SOLVED)

Post by masoodkamal »

i have HP G42-352TU laptop. i was having the problem of mint 11 not starting and hang during startup with blank screen.
i had bios version F.22 (Aug,2010) . i updated it to latest F.36.. and now mint 11 booted up with live session. :)
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

masoodkamal wrote:i have HP G42-352TU laptop. i was having the problem of mint 11 not starting and hang during startup with blank screen.
i had bios version F.22 (Aug,2010) . i updated it to latest F.36.. and now mint 11 booted up with live session. :)
Hello, can you tell me how you did this? I also have a HP G42 but I don't know how to update the bios.

I am running MINT 10
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Stoss google flash bios and flashing bios things along those lines.
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

lmintnewb wrote:Stoss google flash bios and flashing bios things along those lines.
sorry I dont understand any of what you wrote.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Go to google

Type in flashing bios ( hit enter ) Read through the links that come up. It'll give you a decent overview and even step by steps on what's involved with updating bios. Flashing bios, is just another way of saying upgrading the bios on a comp.
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

Ok will do. I downloaded the updated bios driver from the HP website, but it loads a windows file. I tried to open it with wine but it is not installing. I will try what you suggested. Is that the way to do it with Linux?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Usually it runs from windows or a FreeDOS floppy/CD/DVD/USBpen. Don't know if it works from Linux...
bervalk

Post by bervalk »

This is just great.
Isnt it great to keep on pushing until its fix...
Having the same, will not install on my laptop.
Bud i will get there somehow and will let you guys know..

just love it...
demon

Post by demon »

Graphics card is intel 82865g integrated graphics controller.
demon

Post by demon »

erica@erica-desktop ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.7.6 Res: 1280x1024@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 865G GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.3 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
erica@erica-desktop ~ $
Sorry-this is what i get with the command you suggested-if i can change anything to make 11 work that would be great!
masoodkamal

Post by masoodkamal »

Stosskraft wrote:
masoodkamal wrote:i have HP G42-352TU laptop. i was having the problem of mint 11 not starting and hang during startup with blank screen.
Hello, can you tell me how you did this? I also have a HP G42 but I don't know how to update the bios.

I am running MINT 10
go to hp.com, and search for ur laptop model, G42 has latest bios version of F.36, it is better u write ur full model number in search, like for me g42-352tu .. go for support and drivers .. and then select operating system .. and then bios.. it has one exe file with name sp5......exe .. download it and run and wait .. but make sure that during bios upgrade no power interruption to computer ..
enjoy :)
demon

Post by demon »

Hello
My problem-the original post has NOT been solved!

Return to “Installation & Boot”