Cannot login to Gnome after distro upgrade

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
illuminated

Cannot login to Gnome after distro upgrade

Post by illuminated »

So, I've upgraded from Mint 10 to 11 via apt-get. Everything went well, no errors were reported, but after restart I was faced with the login screen (in Mint 10 I had the auto-login) with my name displayed correctly. Clicking it and entering the password would "turn off" the login panel, screen would go black and after few seconds the login screen would reload. Entering username manualy would result the same.

Anyone has any idea?

Thx,

---
Sent from an Android device using Tapatalk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Cannot login to Gnome after distro upgrade

Post by proxima_centauri »

Could be an issue with your current user's configurations. Try creating a new user to login with.

Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 at the login screen, which should switch you to console1. Log in there, and type the following to create a new user.

Code: Select all

sudo adduser <newusername>
You should be prompted for password info, and then bunch of useless stuff at the end like Full Name: Room number:, etc. Don't feel like you need to fill this in, just hit enter to skip to the next question.

After that is done, press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get back to the login screen. Try with the new username and report back.

If it works fine, then it's likely a problem with your old user's settings, you could try purging some of the hidden configuration files from that user's home folder from your new user's session.
illuminated

Re: Cannot login to Gnome after distro upgrade

Post by illuminated »

Thanks a lot but no luck :(

Was able to go to cli and add new user but then wasn't able to get back to X' login... instead of login's gui all I could see was something like startup log with all the statuses being OK (last one was something about checking the battery, also OK).
After reboot (shutdown -r now) I saw the newly added user in login screen, but the login sequence was repeating again. Going again to cli made me unable to get back to login gui...

---
Sent from an Android device using Tapatalk

Return to “Installation & Boot”