wrong medium?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonass

wrong medium?

Post by jonass »

I have been using mint 9 for a while on an old laptop now and I really like it so I want to dual boot my win 7 desktop with mint 11. I created an iso image of the live dvd using the windows tool and when I restart with the live dvd in the computer is goes to a black screen with tons of white writing and eventually says "wrong medium". It also did this when I tried the live cd, and I tried using different mirrors. Can anybody tell me what the problem is? Should i use isoburn instead of the windows tool?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
breaker

Re: wrong medium?

Post by breaker »

jonass wrote:I have been using mint 9 for a while on an old laptop now and I really like it so I want to dual boot my win 7 desktop with mint 11. I created an iso image of the live dvd using the windows tool and when I restart with the live dvd in the computer is goes to a black screen with tons of white writing and eventually says "wrong medium". It also did this when I tried the live cd, and I tried using different mirrors. Can anybody tell me what the problem is? Should i use isoburn instead of the windows tool?
So you burned a live DVD of the iso image is what you are saying, correct? I don't know what "the windows tool" is, but I recommend ImgBurn, and ensure you choose "Write Image File to Disk", and before you write the DVD pick a speed your burner can do that is slower than the max, such as 4x. So even if your media and burner are rated for 12x or whatever, try something slower. Also check the "verify" box. Use quality burn-once media, not RW stuff.

You can also make a bootable usb stick from Windows using different methods such as the program uNEtBootin.

Also, ensure your BIOS is set to boot from your optical drive.

Good luck!
jonass

Post by jonass »

Not sure what it is called but windows 7 has a built in tool for burning iso images to dvds. Any way I downloaded imgburn and made a live dvd from the iso file, using a 6x burn speed and I had it verify at the end. This time during startup it still said wrong medium but it went past that and ended up saying that there were no package files and that it might not be a debian disc or the wrong architecture. Is there a setting I should turn off in windows 7 or something? Also I am using memorex dvd-r's and I have used these before for linux os's. Also the bios is set to boot first from the cdrom as I can get to that first linux screen where I choose how to boot up or run a memory test.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

imgburn is ok but more depends on - how you burned the .iso.
Any image (like .iso etc) must be burned from menu like:

Open image
or
Burn image

It mustn't be burned like
New - CD/DVD compilation or what and adding the .iso file to the compilation (read my signature link for more info).

When u burn that the 1st way, just speed set to 4x and you cannot change any settings (they're set when .iso was created), so just speed can be set.

P.S. As I see the menu, select the first option - write image to disc

http://i.iinfo.cz/urs/1-121804435880600.png
jonass

Post by jonass »

ok so here is another piece to this puzzle I put the live dvd that i made into my old laptop running mint 9 and after some grunting and groaning it booted into linux mint 11. So is there something in windows that is interfering with the boot process? Or possible incompatible motherboard? I am using an ASUS M3A78-CM
breaker

Post by breaker »

It's probably your optical drive flaking with those particular media, if I had to guess, so it is worth a try to use a usb boot stick instead of burning. You can use uNetbootin or something over at Pendrive Linux, they are windows programs that help automate the process of taking a Linux Live iso and creating a bootable usb flash drive. Anyway, that may work better than the DVD. Of course, it could be something else...

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ I haven't tried YUMI, so Unetbootin may be easier... http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

If using media, try, IMHO, the best ones - Verbatim.
jonass

Post by jonass »

Alright well I downloaded unetbootin and it worked booted right into linux mint 11. Maybe my dvd player isn't compatible with linux?

Return to “Installation & Boot”