Grub Issue[SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
compumasta

Grub Issue[SOLVED]

Post by compumasta »

Between forums and google there is plenty of information on grub but i cant seem to find a solution that works for my specific issue. This is on my netbook, so its a single hard drive problem.

First thing i installed was Windows 7 Pro which created two default partitions.(1 and 2)
Then i resized the main partition to leave space for Fedora.
I installed fedora 15 which uses legacy grub and everything worked great. fedora created a third and fourth partitions.
Then i decided to try Linux Mint 11, at which time i removed the windows partitions and put in a swap and ext4 partition.(new 1 and 2)
I had to manually fix grub in fedora to chainloader over to the mint install.
Now i no longer have the fedora partitions (3 and 4) and have since replaced them with only one ntfs partition which currently has no operating system on it.

However, when i replaced the fedora partitions, legacy grub did not go away but did lose the boot information. So i now have to manually find the kernal and boot the system from the command line of grub. How can i just remove legacy grub and have the computer auto boot via grub2 which came with mint?

To boot from the grub command line i have to use these commands:
find /boot/grub/core.img
root (hd0,1)
kernal /boot/grub/core.img
boot

i really hope that makes sense and thank you for your help!

-Cody
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: Grub Issue

Post by wyrdoak »

Is this what you mean?

Converting from Grub Legacy?

If you are already a Grub user, then moving to GRUB2 should be mostly painless. You can actually convert a menu.lst to a grub.cfg if you like, although several things have changed or is not needed now with GRUB2, it will still work to use your old menu.lst. Basically, just install the latest Grub2 from the mirrors, run grub-install /dev/sdx and then run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to get the new grub.cfg file. Again, you may just convert your old menu.lst by renaming it to grub.cfg, then copying it your /boot/grub directory, but I would recommend letting grub-mkconfig build you a new grub.cfg file then edit that to add whatever you want from the old menu.lst. If everything goes well on your reboot, then you might want to remove your old Grub Legacy package. Certainly they can live together on your hard drive, and you could at any time convert back to Grub Legacy, if you like, but I think you're going to be so pleased with the new Grub2 you won't want too!

http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title ... with_GRUB2
compumasta

Re: Grub Issue

Post by compumasta »

Thanks. That information combined with a update-grub seems to have fixed it. It seems that it lost the menu.lst when i removed the fedora partition... which makes sense i guess.

Thank you very much.

-cody

Return to “Installation & Boot”