jumping to SSD, a few questions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mr. Pants

jumping to SSD, a few questions

Post by Mr. Pants »

planning to do a fresh Mint 10 install then restore my data this weekend to a 64gb SSD. My question is if I use the installer and not the advanced will it make a swap partition by default? the reading I've done recommends not using a swap partition.

I dont really have an issue with installing everything to one partition instead of creating one for / then the other for home then having alignment issues afterwards. Unless using the gui installer to manually create them will also align them?

thanks!

edit: I forgot to add, I read that if I were to use win7 to partition the disk it would automagically align them, I think I still have a HDD with win7 on it in the tower. I unplugged it many months ago and haven't needed it lol.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: jumping to SSD, a few questions

Post by tdockery97 »

I wouldn't worry too much about using a swap partition on an SSD. Same goes for a journaling file system like Ext4. I've done some extensive reading on SSD's around the internet, and the consensus from both regular users and experts seems to be that most decent sized SSD's will last longer than equivalent size HDD's. The key is the write-cycles, and the newer and larger SSD's are capable of handling millions of writes before breaking down. If you are going to be running something like continuous write benchmarking you might wear one out in a couple of years. Reading from the SSD has no effect on it's life.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Mr. Pants

Post by Mr. Pants »

yea, I know all that lol, but does the installer create a swap partition by default no matter what if I choose to let it use the whole disc option? If I manually set up the partitions with the advanced option will it automatically align the partitions?
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

ether way, swap and root are the two partitions that are mandatory.

Just no getting past that. The good news is swap is very rarely used and if you do a manual setup AKA advanced.

For 4 GB systems 1 GB swap is plenty , for 2 GB systems 2 GB is plenty.

1 GB systems 2 GB works fine for me as well, system still never uses swap hardly ever.

Just set swap and the rest to root.

Don't make the mistake of letting windows do it, it gets it very wrong all to often.

Let Linux do its thing bud. Your better of with ssd.
Mr. Pants

Post by Mr. Pants »

I have 6gb of RAM, everything I have read says no to a swap partition with a SSD. So If I were to use the default installer it will create a swap partition? I have no issues with creating my own then installing but I haven't been able to find if the installer aligns the created partitions correctly. And trust me I dont want to use windows to do it, Im thinking I will just wipe that drive and use it as a back up drive for my tower and the wifes laptop since it hasnt been used in months lol.

worst case I will just let it fly, if something goes screwy Ill just read for hours, then if I cant find what I need Ill just re-install. not like I haven't done that 100 times :lol:
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

I have done it on SSD a 1000 times with linux

1GB swap and the rest to root.

Yes it will align them perfectly.

Linux has a much better filing system then windows.

if ya have any questions as you do it, just ask.

with 6 GB of ram that swap partition will most likely NEVER be used as it is.

BUT it has to be there .
Mr. Pants

Post by Mr. Pants »

thanks much, my mobo died shortly after getting it up and going :( was fast as hell there for a little while :lol:

Return to “Installation & Boot”