Grub loading error

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Grub loading error

Postby kuttappan on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:41 am

I first made a Daryna live usb and successfully installed to my local hard disk.
Then tried installing to a 40 GB external usb hard disk using the live usb.I selected to use the entire disk. The installation went on with no error. But during the first reboot (from external usb hard disk) it flashed the error message. Grub Loading ..................... ERROR.The screen went blank when i hit the enter key. I am doing this since i want a portable daryna so that i can install and use packages where ever I go.Please help
kuttappan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Grub loading error

Postby Husse on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:38 am

Grub seems to give problems, and mostly with Mac (not surprisingly) and external disks
Please post the entire error message so we can help you and check all connections
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby alezolo on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:53 pm

Just like KUTTAPPAN, and for the same reason, I installed Daryna on a USB hard drive. I used a live CD for that.

During intallation, I opted for not installing GRUB at all by unchecking the choice box somewhere in the advanced options' screen. Since Daryna is the only OS on this USB HDD, I thought that by not installing GRUB, I would be able to launch Daryna straight away when booting from that USB drive, without going through the options' screen where you select the operation system to launch at start up. (By the way, the installation process freezed at languages after about 80 % trought, and then again at about 95% done; but clicking both times on Skip button allowed it to continue and to complete the installation.)

But, now, when I try booting from that USB hard drive onto which I installed Daryna that way, the screen stays black, and the only message that appears is the one mentioned by KUTTAPPAN: "Grub Loading ..................... ERROR". In sted of launching Darina straight away, the system looks for GRUB !

Does it mean that you can not use Daryna without having installed GRUB ?
alezolo

Postby Husse on Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:31 pm

As far as i know you must have a loader of some kind for all operating systems
grub, lilo, ntldr what ever...
Download the supergrub ISO (only a few MB) and burn a cd and install grub from it.
Never installed grub when there was no grub before so I don't know for sure what happens
This could be the solution for kuttappan too
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot