Warning! TOR destroys Linux Mint!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Warning! TOR destroys Linux Mint!

Post by birkopf »

I was wondering what am I doing wrong that after a time my Mint is going for full re-installation. Well - yesterday I found out. If I (you?) install Tor Project with polipo, vidalia, problems start after restart. Massive problems. Graphics go low, icons are changed, windows start to fade, system crashes, etc. I didn't believe my eyes when I removed (purged) all TOR and it's components. Restart - mint works like a charm.
But I want TOR.

- Someone has any ideas pls?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Warning! TOR destroys Linux Mint!

Post by ThistleWeb »

Tor has nothing to do with any of that, it encrypts a signal over the internet between nodes. The bandwidth will be much slower, so if you're sending visual stuff over it, it'll be slower, which would mean watching HD movies etc through Tor won't be an option but it's not designed for that. The only way you'd get the effects you describe, is to be doing a desktop sharing through Tor, where you're directing a GUI remote desktop through a bandwidth limited medium.

Tor is a way to keep your traffic from being easily read by various agencies and governments, spreading FUD about it would be in the interests of agents from these organizations, to prevent you from protecting yourself from them.
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Warning! TOR destroys Linux Mint!

Post by birkopf »

I am afraid it does. We are talking about different issues. I am not only talking about usage and slow bandwidth which I am familiar with . Tor installs itself in the system and start up with it and that's when the problems are beginning. When it come to using - there are no problem. It must be changing some variables in the system as the effect is crushing...

Return to “Installation & Boot”