[SOLVED] Windows Vista & Linux Mint 11 - newbie here

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SimonTS

Re: Windows Vista & Linux Mint 11 - newbie here

Post by SimonTS »

@AdamS
So you would still have him set up with an Extended partition and logical drives. OK - that was not at all clear in your posting which is why I wanted to check it. And OSs don't need to be in a Primary partition, except for Windows of course. I, personally, have my setup almost identical to the one I listed, except that I have 7 different Linux distros in Logical partitions, all sharing the same swap space.
The reason I put the 'Documents' partition as a Primary is purely because Windows needs to access it and I have learnt not to trust MS even when it says it should never be a problem :mrgreen:
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

all good bud

I my self use a

win 7
Linux mint 11 - custom built iso
ultimate edition 3.0 beta
Ubuntu 11.04 ultimate - custom built iso
ultimate edition 2.9

On just system 1 lol 4 systems total

Each have a large set of dual boots other then netbook and laptop is just a dual boot mint 11 custom ISO and win 7.

We each have our ways and reasons for that. We could debate the reasons ALL day. But make this clear. I give my clients perfection and fully fill there needs with linux in every way.

As of today I have linux on 682 systems now. All converts from windows or new systems sold as Linux.

Not about giving them just enough, but all about giving them all of there needs.
Last edited by AdamS on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Bude wrote:Why am I completly ignored ?
Bude wrote:Regarding E: can i acess it with linux and install games there , which i will use with wine ?
You have to install a game in both Wine / Playonlinux and Windows. A shared folder where the files are placed does not work because the registry is not shared and cannot be shared.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Bude

Post by Bude »

SimonTS wrote::oops: My bad - apologies to you Bude.
You can use Drive E: for all your Windows games no problem.
As for WINE... from what I remember, wine automatically installs all of its games, applications etc in a 'hidden' folder called '.wine' in your home folder. You can very easily set up a symbolic link so that this folder (.wine) resides on the 'E: Drive' / 'sdb'.
How am i doing this ?
AlbertP wrote:
Bude wrote:Why am I completly ignored ?
Bude wrote:Regarding E: can i acess it with linux and install games there , which i will use with wine ?
You have to install a game in both Wine / Playonlinux and Windows. A shared folder where the files are placed does not work because the registry is not shared and cannot be shared.
Are u sure ? I guess installing the game in Wine and Windows to the same folder would probably not fix my problem either, eh ? Any workaround, or should i just make two folders (Wine/Linux and Windows)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Yes, just let Wine and Windows make their own folders. Some ancient programs work when shared, but the majority can't find necessary registry keys.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

AdamS wrote:
Habitual wrote:Hey Hinckley Utah

How'd you "rate" a name change?

Just curious.
name change of hinckley ?

it is a 140 year old town lol
I meant your LM_Nick, silly. Wasn't it smth "else" recently?
That or someone else is using the same avatar...
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

No I changed the name kuz I was getting complaints I wasn't being fully loyal to other distro websites for using mint.

Bunch of BS and I have for the most part separated my identity between the two now lol.

Reckon Mint has finally filled my needs using it as my base. Far more simple building a stable distro with it then ubuntu these days.
Bude

Post by Bude »

I have a problem on installing Mint. I choose "Install beside Vista". But how do i chnage its installation partition ?
Ok I just set my ext4 partition to / and installed Mint. But There is no GRUB bootmanager
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

You don't select that option. Choose the bottom option - "Select partitions manually" or whatever it's called. Then just set the mount points for / and swap into the partitions you've already created and away you go.
Bude

Post by Bude »

Yes i did this. The installation went flawless. But when i start my PC there is no GRUB Bootloader :/ - i cant start mint
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

OK - where did you install GRUB to - sda or sdb?

Can you please boot back up off the Live image and post the outputs of;-
$ sudo fdisk -l
$ sudo os-prober
Bude

Post by Bude »

Linux is installed on sdb2

ok the first command had a lot of output i guess u just wanted the boot.
* is on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb2

the other command:
/dev/sda1 : Windows Vista (loader):Windows:chain
/dev/sdb2 : Linux Mint Kaya 11
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

OK. I'm going to assume that GRUB was installed onto sdb instead of sda and that your computer is still set to boot off sda as the Primary disk?

$ sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

Then reboot and you should get the GRUB menu, with no Windows listed.
Go into Mint and type;-
$ sudo update-grub

And next time you reboot you should have both Windows and Mint. If you want to make the boot menu prettier then look at installing BURG;-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg
http://www.burgloader.com/
Bude

Post by Bude »

these commands dont work. It cant find this directories - It fails to install.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Did you copy those commands EXACTLY (with the spaces in the right places)? The easiest way is to copy from my posting and paste to the terminal window. As long as you have given me the correct mount points then there is no reason for them not to work - I have used them and recommended them lots of times. If it still doesn't work then can you please post the terminal window with the output to those commands and the full output from the previous commands?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Much easier. Please set the BIOS to boot from the other harddisk (put sdb before sda in the boot sequence). Then the boot menu will appear.
Or swap the cables (SATA) or the master/slave setting (PATA) if you don't manage to do it in the BIOS.
Bude

Post by Bude »

swapping the hdds in bios didnt work for some reason.
And sry, yes i did make a mistake when copying. It works flawless now :)
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Glad to hear that. Can you please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED] into the title.

And post a nice cold beer to England for me? :twisted:
Bude

Post by Bude »

I have one problem though. I tried installing ts3, but i cant even start the installer at E (ntfs partition). WHy is this ?
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

What is TS3? Are you trying to install it from Mint in WINE?

Return to “Installation & Boot”