Boot Linux Mint 11 problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rhomp2002

Boot Linux Mint 11 problems

Post by rhomp2002 »

I have been using Linux Mint 8 with no problems at all. I was also able to use Linux Mint 11 as a Live DVD with not problems. I then installed Linux Mint11 and now when I select Mint 11 to load it starts and shows the user select screen. With Mint 8 I hit enter and it selects the default and goes on to ask for the password. With Mint 11 hitting enter does nothing. I have to use the mouse to click on the user and when I then try to enter the password nothing works. No idea what could have caused that problem. Seems like it should work the same way that Mint 8 does - hit enter and it then asks for the password - but it doesn't. Any ideas as to how to correct this? The advances in Mint 11 are definitely worth having but if I can't log in then it is just wasted.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: Boot Linux Mint 11 problems

Post by SimonTS »

When you get the user login screen, can you press <CTRL>+<ALT>+<F1> to get a console login? If so then can you log in there with the user and password that you set up?
rhomp2002

Post by rhomp2002 »

No, I can't get that screen. I can use the the repair screen and get on that way but I cannot get on either from the normal user/select - password enter method or from the ctrl-alt-f/1 to get a login screen.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

So, to get this straight, what is basically happening is that the keyboard is not functioning at all on the log-on screen? Is that correct? You can use the mouse to move round and click on things, but you can't actually type anything into the password box etc?

This is certainly not normal behaviour for Mint 11 - or any version for that matter.

If so, is this a wireless keyboard? Is it connected through a KVM switch? Are the mouse and keyboard USB, PS/2 or something else?
rhomp2002

Post by rhomp2002 »

You got it in 1. The keyboard is USB and the mouse is PS/2, actually a trackball. I also have Linux Mint 8 loaded and it works just great and so do all the other distros I have loaded so far as signing on. I sure hope we can get past this because Mint is the best distro I have tried so far and I would hate to have to give it up over something like this.

:x
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Is there any chance that you have a spare PS/2 keyboard you can try for the moment? I am just wondering if, for some reason, Mint isn't kicking in the USB drivers at the right stage. Alternatively check your BIOS for a setting something like "Enable legacy support for USB devices"

Return to “Installation & Boot”