Encrypted Katya from Ubuntu?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Angry-Rooster

Encrypted Katya from Ubuntu?

Post by Angry-Rooster »

Can I use the upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 to Mint 11 option in the installer to upgrade and encrypted Ubuntu system? I've read on here that the upgrade option doesn't work well and leaves some things broken. If this wouldn't work is it possible to change the default Ubuntu repos to the Katya repos before running any updates and accomplish the same thing?

I have a stable Julia system and don't want to tinker with it just to experiment since it's the only system I have at the moment.

Thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Encrypted Katya from Ubuntu?

Post by richyrich »

Thoughts?
I have a stable Julia system and don't want to tinker with it just to experiment since it's the only system I have at the moment.
My suggestion : You answered it right there ! That ol' saying . . " If it ain't broke . . . "

richy

ps: I have rock solid stable machines running Mint 9 Xfce, and Mint 9 Fluxbox, and I'm not even thinking of upgrading any of 'em. :mrgreen:
Angry-Rooster

Post by Angry-Rooster »

I don't plan on messing with my Julia setup but I am getting a netbook in about a week to travel with so I want it encrypted. I've tried Fedora, Debian, Fuduntu, Fusion and Scientific Linux before I settled on Mint. They all are either a pain to continually configure just to do common things, the release cycle is so fast that by the time I would get it set up the way I want then it's outdated, or support is spotty with only a few people working on the distro.

I've settled on Mint as the best option for me, the only thing I don't like is it doesn't have encryption from the start. I won't be using it on my netbook unless there is a way around it, just trying to plan ahead.
Angry-Rooster

Post by Angry-Rooster »

Anyone ever try this? Anyone? I'll be trying it later on when I get a new netbook but was hoping someone would have already attempted this. I won't have much time to get it set up before I need to leave on a trip so any advice/help is appriciated.
conslie

Post by conslie »

This is not offered within Mint, but you can achieve what you wish via TrueCrypt. See http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/ and read the section on Hidden Operating System.

It suggests answering the password request with either of two passwords, one for the OS you want to reveal and another for the one you don't, but from what I've understood, only having one TrueCrypt password protected encrypted OS is even easier.

Give it a look.

Return to “Installation & Boot”